Dodge 4.7 Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic now. Is there anything better that I can use through all seasons in Louisiana? I seem to be having good service with Mobil 1, but it doesn't appear to be highly regarded on this forum. I've been told to wait for the Mobil 0w-30R, while another friend is pushing Amsoil HDD. Any input would be helpful.

Mobil 1 10w-30 will do an excellent job for you. Amsoil is very good, but is hard to justify the cost unless you run extended oil drain intervals. If you do that, you need oil analysis at the recommended drain intervals to keep your warranty in force.

Ken

I'm using Dino 5W-30 in mine (Mobil Drive Clean) because the owners manual specifically says not to do extended drain intervals. I guess this is to protect the 7-70 warranty for them. I think I'm going to switch to Havoline or Chevron.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ant:
I seem to be having good service with Mobil 1, but it doesn't appear to be highly regarded on this forum.

I don't think the majority feel that way about the Mobil Supersyn . It's a great oil that is Amsoils nemisis is all since it's sold for over 2 bucks a quart less and has the API donut to help keep you covered while under warranty .

I got an excellent UOA on Amsoil`s ATM 10-30. Look it up under used oil analysis thread. Someone else had a great report with Amsoils AMO 10-40 on their 4.7 as well. I have the S2K 0-30 in there now and will be posting results in a couple of months. The HDD is suppose to be excellent, especially if you wanted to go for 20k drains IMO. Good luck
grin.gif

On my dodge 4.7 I use Valvoline All climate and 3k changes with a napa gold. I also get very good UOA's with this combo. I think im the only one who uses Valv AC....
burnout.gif

M1 15W50 is works great in this engine from spring until winter. I then would switch to 10W30 for winter. I am sure you probably would not need to make the switch to 10W30 in the winter being so far south. M1 is a fine oil. THe oil Zelots on this site wich I happen to be one of are always looking for that slight edge.

In your area just add a 25% of Mobil 1 15W-50 with the 10W-30. When my daughter lived in Ms. thats what I did.

quote:

I don't think the majority feel that way about the Mobil Supersyn . It's a great oil that is Amsoils nemisis is all since it's sold for over 2 bucks a quart less and has the API donut to help keep you covered while under warranty .

Agree. I'd stick with M1 10w-30. It's there best viscosity IMO, other then maybe 15w-50. Or do what Al suggested and add a little 15w-50.
smile.gif

The Amsoil 10w-30 has shown excellent wear number in this motor and would be preferred over their 5w-30,given that you live in La. I'd change the SDF-42 oil filter after six months and change the oil after 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first.

It would be worthwhile testing the first two batches of oil you run after six months - prior to doing the filter change. The main reason to do this is to make sure the engine is running as well as it should. The Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30 are very consistant in terms of performance and will hold up extremely well, unless you are getting abnormal contamination from fuel,coolant or dirt.

At least 75% of my Amsoil customers run extended drains in vehicles under warranty and don't bother doing any oil analysis testing - except for the initial testing I just described to define optimum drain intervals. Once you do that, there is NO need to test every batch you run, unless you are just interested in oil analysis, or use it as a sales tool the way I do ....

If you work with an experienced Amsoil dealer like MSparks or Pablo, who understand lubrication/oil analysis,you'll get excellent results with the stuff....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

[ December 13, 2003, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

I'd say through our great sponsers on this site. Not only will you get the best price but you'll get valuable knowledge about your particular needs and what's best for you.

Whimsey

I've looked at a sponsor's site, but it seems to just link to the Amsoil corporate site.

I agree with too slick that you will be better served with 10W30 then 5W30 in this engine. From experince I can say that this engine generates really low wear numbers. If you did not know better you would think it was a Toyota V8. THe iron will likely be the highest reading wear metal and even then it will be lower then most American V8's!!

The least expensive way for anyone to order Amsoil is to become a "Preferred Customer" for $20.00/year. That gets you dealer prices on all their stuff, which saves you 20%-25%, along with the commercial shipping rate, which is about five cents per pound less. If you are going to do your own ordering anyway, it makes sense to go the preferred customer route.

It may also be possible to find Amsoil on the shelf by looking in the Yellow Pages for a local dealer ....So, I'd check on that option as well.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

Well if it were my truck, and still within the warranty period I wouldn't extend the drain intervals beyond that which is recommended in your owners manual. You could use Mobil1, Amsoil or Redline and extend your drains to 10,000 miles (perhaps even more)and most likely never have a problem. However, if you did have a problem with the engine, you can bet your last dollar the dealer will make mention of the OCI and type of oil used (API certified or not). Trust me on that. Would they prevail in denying your warranty claim? Probably not but why risk the hassle?

If you want to use one of the quality synths and feel good knowing they are keeping everything squeaky clean go right ahead and do so but keep the OCI in line with your owners guide. It sort of stinks draining that pricey stuff so soon though so I would just use a quality Dino or blend (Chevron/Havoline, Schaeffers Supreme, Castrol GTX, Pennzoil) and pocket the savings.

My .02

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back