Do you use synthetic or conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Another poll, yay!
fruit.gif

By the way, if you use a high mileage oil, put it down as a blend, since technically speaking that is what they are.

Since you can only vote once here, pick the car you drive the most out of all your cars.

I gave Mobil1 a try, but did not like its' consistency when the engine is hot from traffic driving. So I'm back to Havoline dino
Cheers!
SoftPoint

I put my oil down as a blend, because I used Schaeffer's 5W-30 Supreme 7000 for my UOA. Actually I am using a synthetic right now-the German Castrol. But based on the results I got form the Schaeffer's I am going to continue to use Schaeffer's.

I already have several hundred miles on the German Castrol. The one thing I have noticed so far about it is that it seems to get dark a lot faster than the Schaeffer's. I don't know what this means. Based on the UOA of the Schaeffer's the engine was clean.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
Your Poll need the allow user to check more than one type as most of us use different oils in different cars.

I realize that, but I figured I'd just keep this one simple and make it for the one vehicle you drive the most.

quote:

Wow! So far nobody uses a group 3 "synthetic"

(or nobody will admit to it!) [Razz]

I used Syntec 5W-50 for about 60k miles. However, I voted synthetic, because that's what's been going in for the last 45k miles. Had I known about the questionable labeling of HC oil as "synthetic" back then, I surely wouldn't have used that stuff in the first place!
mad.gif

In wife's Exploder, dino, Motorcraft 5W-30; my 2002 F-150 w/4.6 L, blend, Motorcraft 5W-20; and in the 1996 Contour with the 2.0 L, true synthetic, Mobil 1 5W-30. The wife's Exploder gets driven the most miles so I guess I'd have to say dino. At least for now until I change over to Schaeffer's 5W-30 Blend for the Exploder and Contour.

Whimsey

Either the synthetic crowd (includes me) is showing up en masse to promote their cause or synthetics are starting to win over the hearts and minds (and crankcases) of the people.
canada.gif
patriot.gif

PS We need to get Aussie, British, Malaysian, Bolivian, Belorussian, etc etc flags...

[ August 07, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

(or nobody will admit to it!)
tongue.gif

I'll admit it.
smile.gif
Castrol Syntec 5W-30

[ August 07, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: day1si ]

quote:

Originally posted by day1si:

quote:

(or nobody will admit to it!)
tongue.gif

I'll admit it.
smile.gif
Castrol Syntec 5W-30

Will you post a UOA of this oil when your interval is up? I'd like to see more UOAs on the US made Syntec.

quote:

Will you post a UOA of this oil when your interval is up? I'd like to see more UOAs on the US made Syntec.

My current one is in the UOA section.
Although soon I will do a 5000 mile UOA on the Syntec. I just can't on this round of oil. I switched to a K&N filter about 800 miles in on my last oil, and didn't change filters on my last oil change. So I plan to go only 3000 on this round, so as to not go beyond 6000 for the filter. Although I will then do 5000 miles on the K&N and the Syntec and see what we get. If it looks good, hopefully less viscosity drop than on the 3000 mile UOA, then my routine will be A K&N and 5W-30 Syntec for 5000 miles from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back