Do you use synthetic or conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sig says it all!!!
grin.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4300 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 80500 Miles.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Little middle ground here. I doubt the people responding are typical. I am not sure many of the general public realize there is more than dino. Note, since I am in the 3 months comes first group, I am sticking to Pennzoil dino, 5W - 30. The synthetics may make more sense for people that put more miles on.

There are many more benefits of using synthetic oil than ability to extend your drain intervals.
I don't know what you're driving or what your driving habits are but unless you drive mostly highway at moderate speeds your dino may not be the best for you.
City gridlock, track days and fun on the back roads are causing the most strain on the engine and this is where additional protection of synthetic oil is most important to me.

91 Nissan Pathfinder 180,000 miles, M1 10w-30 going to 0w-40 next change.

94 BMW 525i, 103,000 miles. Was M1 15-50, now 0w-40.

96 Toyota Landcruiser, 118,000 miles. M1 0w-40.

Of course by the same token, my sister had an 82 Toyota Celica that she change the oil on irregularly, used whatever mineral, and went 350,000 miles before she sold it. Also, a guy I go to dog park with has an 89 Honda Accord that he couriers in, 480,000 miles, 4000 mile mineral oil changes (whatever is on sale), original motor, one transmission. Does synthetic help?
dunno.gif
I don't know but it makes me feel better.

Since the poll is very limited (no choice for both depending on car), I choose to post here instead.

2002 S2000- Mobil 1 10W30 Changed once a year (~7,500 miles). This car gets synthetic because it frequently sees 9000 RPM. (rated for 10W30)

2003 Element- Mobil 1 0W20 Changed once a year (~10,000 miles) This car gets synthetic because it sits outside in the winter sees lots of stopped traffic in the summer. (rated for 5W20)

1999 CR-V- Any Conventional API-SL 5W30, Changed every three months (~3,000 miles). (rated for 5W30) I don't bother with synthetic because it's usually started in the garage, sees somewhat shorter trips, and no extreme demand on the engine.

Groups? Whatever group that makes me.

Every car gets a new Honda oil filter once a year. I use Honda filters to make sure I have the proper bypass opening at startup.

I've had 9 Honda products over the years, none EVER needed ANY engine repairs, nor used an unusual amount of oil. I've used both synthetic and dino in these vehicles based on the type of service they saw.

I've always used the Honda filters, never had one let me down. I don't know what all the fuss is, the blue filters do the job they are supposed to do.

[ August 08, 2003, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

I'm shell shocked - I've been using Pennzoil synthetic in all my cars for 6 yrs,now I find it's not what I thought it was! No harm done - they all do l0,000km a year and oil and filter are changed at 6mths,regardless of km.All my customers get the cheapest dino I can get,only one uses synth,the cost of an oil change is all that matters.

But one of my cars is a turbo that works in the city,10hrs a day non stop,over 1000km a week,I want an oil that can take this - no problems with the Pennz,I just though it was as good as Mobil 1.

I hope the Silkolene Pro 4 I use in the bikes is considered a real synth by you guys.

I use group IV syn. Mobil 1 and Amsoil. I will probably always use M1, Amsoil and Redline depending on the car I have will determine which one I use. I like Pennzoil and Chevron in the dino arena. I want to see more of the Castrol 0w-30. If it stays here for good, I'd definitely run that in my car. Much better choice then Mobil's 0w-30. I still think Redline is the best built oil on the market, even though it hasn't impressed us yet on the UOA's. For my C5 I'd probably run 5w-30 Redline.
*Patman, the new Vette comes out next fall. Maybe we can get a good deal on a C5 next summer!! I'd be in heaven if I got one.
shocked.gif

[ August 08, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

I think you two should pool your resources, get a C5R and rip it up at Le Mans!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol.gif
The only problem is, we'd argue over which oil to use in it!
lol.gif
Actually in that case, Redline would be my choice.

quote:

Originally posted by Silk:

I hope the Silkolene Pro 4 I use in the bikes is considered a real synth by you guys.

I'd use Silkolene if available, I'd like to see how it compares to Brand R, which works great in bikes. I'd expect Silkolene to do just as well.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I think you two should pool your resources, get a C5R and rip it up at Le Mans!

Problem is, if we pooled our resources, I'd be putting in $0, since I'm broke.
smile.gif

I do hope the C6 lowers the value of the early C5s, then I can pick up a nice 99 model sooner than I expected. It'll still probably be five years away though, right now our debtload exceeds our income (in other words we go further into debt each month)
frown.gif

quote:

I do hope the C6 lowers the value of the early C5s, then I can pick up a nice 99 model sooner than I expected. It'll still probably be five years away though, right now our debtload exceeds our income

I hear you. My situation is the same.
frown.gif

M1 in the 2003 Tahoe and 1999 Jeep 4.7L. 15W40 Bobsoil in the '67 GTO. Next oil change in the daily drivers I am going to try 5W30 Bobsoil.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

I do hope the C6 lowers the value of the early C5s, then I can pick up a nice 99 model sooner than I expected. It'll still probably be five years away though, right now our debtload exceeds our income

I hear you. My situation is the same.
frown.gif

offtopic.gif
Hot Rod magazine did a article on a 65 corvette that had a complete C5 suspension (it had a C4 rearend due to size restrictions). Now that is too cool.
grin.gif
grin.gif

"You may not view the results of this poll without voting."
How come?
Thus far, results are:
Group 4 or 5: 61% (100 voters)
Group 3: 5% (9 voters)
Blend: 10% (16 voters)
Conventional: 24% (40 voters)

Just trying to be a nice guy
smile.gif

Amsoil in everything since 1978, with annual oil changes - even the wheel bearings in my Trek get synthetic grease
grin.gif

I honestly don't understand the 3000 mile oil change mentality, although you can certainly get decent results that way. You couldn't get me to do that if you gave me the oil and filters for free. I figure my labor to do an oil/filter change and clean up the mess afterwards is worth about $25.00, so it's a no brainer.

TooSlick

quote:

I honestly don't understand the 3000 mile oil change mentality, although you can certainly get decent results that way.

What bothers me the most is when I hear about people who drive 1000 miles per week (or more) and they still change every 3k! Like the 1,000,000km 96 Town Car I just read an article on in the local paper. He did 161 oil changes, which works out to about every 4000 miles. This person would be the PERFECT candidate for Amsoil, he could've done 25 oil changes instead of 161, and saved himself not only a lot of money but a lot of time too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back