Do you use synthetic or conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil1 5W-30 and BMW High Performance Synthetic, I guess they are both synthetics.
grin.gif
Next on my shopping list is German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

I'm a dino guy. I have switched to Chevron/Havoline because of the good rap and UOA of Supreme here and also because its the best cold cranking 5w30 dino I have seen yet.

quote:

Originally posted by F1Crazy:
Next on my shopping list is German made Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

F1...

Memphis ought to be floating in the stuff since that is Autozone's HQ...unless they located their SE distribution center somewhere else.

Mobil 1 10w30 in the '98 Trooper and the German Syntec in the '04 Sienna although I can't find anymore in any Autozone I go to
frown.gif
. However will be draining the Syntec for a UOA and will run Chevron dino for about 3k miles plus auto-rx treatment and then depending on whether or not I can find more German Syntec I will probably switch to M1 5w30.
smile.gif

Patman/Oil Gurus: Quick question. How do I know if an oil is GIII or GIV/V? Must have missed that part of the lesson in class. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

Memphis ought to be floating in the stuff since that is Autozone's HQ...unless they located their SE distribution center somewhere else.

The last time I checked it was here.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kiko:
[QBHow do I know if an oil is GIII or GIV/V? Must have missed that part of the lesson in class. Thanks. [/QB]

Unfortunately you can't tell unless you live in Germany where Group IV/V oils are labeled Voll-Synthese (full synthetic) and Group III are known as HC-Synthese (hydro-cracked synthetic). I'm sure there are similar regulations in the rest of EU.
In US we just have to guess based on oil properties like pour point, etc.

I am like kiko, I want to know how to determine which is Group 3 and which is Group 4/5? Where does Mobil 1 Super Syn. fall? Royal Purple? You very seldom hear much about Royal Purple on BITOG list, but a lot in mag's like Hot Rod? Any comments from the RP guys? Hot Rod and others have 'converted' all lubes in a car and dyno tested 10 % more HP.

Oil that I use:

1994 Geo Prizm Castrol Syntec 5W-50 (group III) yes I will admit it.
grin.gif

1997 BMW 318i Amsoil XL-7500 10W-40 (group III) I paid way below the retail price
1999 Mitsubishi Mirage BMW Synthetic 5W-30 (don't know which group synthetic) my mothers car
2000 Kawasaki ZR-7 Pennzoil 15W-40 (conventional group II/II+)
2001 Mazda 626 Mobil One 0W-40 (group IV/V)

I need more cars so I can experiment with more brands of oil.
shocked.gif

If you guys want to know what type of base oil your synthetic uses, just ask here.

Mobil 1 is a true synthetic (group 4 and/or 5), so is Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple and german Castrol 0w30. Schaeffer Oil makes a full synthetic too.

Valvoline, Pennzoil, US Syntec, Quaker State, Havoline, Chevron, all have group 3 synthetics. Amsoil's XL7500 is group 3 now too.

quote:

Originally posted by F1Crazy:
Unfortunately you can't tell unless you live in Germany where Group IV/V oils are labeled Voll-Synthese (full synthetic) and Group III are known as HC-Synthese (hydro-cracked synthetic).

Shell uses the term "Synthesetechnologie" to describe their Helix Plus, which uses mostly Shell's XHVI base oil. This is a Group III, but it's a wax isomerate, not hydrocracked VGO.

I'm staying with my Pennzoil for now b/c my car has ran great on it thus far and it's easier on my wallet. If I ever get a new/newer car I will probably go with synthetic.

One lone Aussie voice, I use dino 20w-60 in my Ford with a Windsor V8, 120,000 miles. It is a duel fuel petrol/LPG vehicle.

I would be scared to put a thin synthetic in it. Temperatures round 90-100F in summer, 50F in winter.

[ August 08, 2003, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

quote:

I would be scared to put a thin synthetic in it. Temperatures round 90-100F in summer, 50F in winter.

Hmm, what about using a thick synthetic in the summer?
wink.gif

[ August 08, 2003, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Synthetic in my expensive (well not that expensive, but my GOOD) car.

Dino in the beater.

(Edited for the following comment).

Although I'm saving the 6,000 mile Delvac 1 from the 4Runner to use in the Camira for "extended drains without the risk" after I've had my thick/thin test.

[ August 08, 2003, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Shannow ]

Little middle ground here. I doubt the people responding are typical. I am not sure many of the general public realize there is more than dino. Note, since I am in the 3 months comes first group, I am sticking to Pennzoil dino, 5W - 30. The synthetics may make more sense for people that put more miles on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back