do you think you live in a crazy state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: morris
you need to feel sorry for me i live in Kansas. in this state it is illegile to dial a phone no with the intent of NOT ANSWERING

It's the same down here, albeit, I'm sure that what you read that outraged you was worded for exactly the reaction that you made.

It's illegal to use an autodialler down here...they are machines that dial your number, wait for you to answer, then put you in a queue for the "next available operator"...i.e. they dial then put YOU on hold.

SOP in this household...

Phone rings, you pick it up, and say hello multiple times, with dead silence on the end.

A click, background noise of a call centre, and some person in Mumbai calling themselves Darryl (From Melbourne) asks if that is "Mr M...."

Confirm that it is, and ask who they are calling on behalf of, they tell you.

Ask what the weather is like in Melbourne ATM...warm and sunny at 8PM in winter is a giveaway.

Advise them that you are on the donotcall register and autodiallers are illegal.

They tell you that Oz law doesn't apply in India.

Report the call to the donotcall register, and hope that the quoted company is Australian, and gets hammered for it.

I see very good reason for the laws...and interestingly the party that introduced the laws federally here also excluded themselves from having to comply with it, as it was a recorded message from the P.M for information purposes only.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Lest I mention that us "Seattle type nuts" aren't the ones with the, ahem, proclivity you mentioned later. That seems to be more popular out in the sticks. Just sayin...

Heck of a think for a state to be known for, huh?

Not exactly in the sticks, Enumclaw and parts south. But one guy had a visitor "ranch" up by the border. Guys from Germany even came for a visit. Good gawd. I think the crackdown might be working, at least nothing in the news for awhile. Who knows.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My home state is a cesspool of corruption, graft, and fraud. If the US got an enema, it would be inserted here. It should be rented out by the acre for target practice.

Is there also a lot of "Ocean" in your "State"?
lol.gif

In Indiana we have a law where you have a right to defend yourself against the illegal police entry in your house. A couple of issues that are not addressed, and someone will learn it the hard way, are:

1. How do you determine whether the police enter your residence illegally or have a warrant;
2. What form of resistance do they have in mind that will not provoke deadly retaliation by the police.

As for the crank call law, I think we have one, too, that is seldom used.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Well, I complain about the stupidity of Indiana but then I remember that there is Arizona and things are not that bad here.

Arizona has some of the best gun laws in the country.

They may be liberal in term of gun laws but in general, you see the darndest laws coming out of that state.

A strange blue law:

Per the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission website: "If Christmas Day or New Year's Day falls on a Sunday, liquor stores are closed the following Monday." There are a few others, but this is the only one where I have simply never been able to figure out what the motivation behind the law might have been.

Perhaps somebody can provide some insight here?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

WA is only crazy because of the number of Seattle type nuts and the constant ability to only elect one party into office

It's the same here in TX, but in our case it's the other party. It's bad either way if there's not a mix, IMO. I am from Oregon originally so I understand your dilemma, believe me.

I grew up in the Chicago area, then lived in Minneapolis for seven years before moving to Phoenix. If nothing else this has taught me that each state has their own crazy laws on the books and has their share of nut cases in both political parties.

I live in a crazy world, many crazy continents, some crazy states, but fortunately a very sane city.

Go Sunnyvale, you are a very sane place in a chaotic world.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I live in a crazy world, many crazy continents, some crazy states, but fortunately a very sane city.

Go Sunnyvale, you are a very sane place in a chaotic world.

Sunnyvale isn't crazy???

confused2.gif
crazy2.gif
smirk.gif

Is the Brass Rail still around?

Originally Posted By: salesrep
It is illegal to honk in Illinois unless it it is specifically to warn another motorist. In other words it is illegal to honk just to say "hello"

Most states say that horns are for emergency purposes only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back