Do you think this *issue* is covered by WARRANTY??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Car: 2007 Corolla CE, 2.5 years old, 34,000 miles.

The issue: There is a burnt-kinda smell that comes out of the air ducts whenever the AC is either engaged or disengaged. If the AC is not on, then everything is peachy. The first time this happened, I was driving on the highway and I experienced this noxious burnt-smelling fume (I nearly choked!)--I thought it had come from outside or something, driving away from that general area didn't solve the problem.

Subsequently, the smell is NOT as bad as this first time, but like I said, it seems related to the AC somehow. If I turn on the AC, I get that smell and it'll last for about 3 minutes before not being noticeable anymore. If I turn OFF the AC (but still with the fans on), then I get that smell again, for 3 minutes again, before dissippating.

So, do you think problem is covered? I've never taken the car in for warranty service. This would be my first issue.

How does it go exactly?

Are they going to try to pin it on me?

If it's still under the warranty, then yes they will fix it.

Just call them up, make an appointment and describe the symptoms... Then when you get to the dealership offer to show the service tech the problem.

They may have to keep the vehicle for a day while they disassemble various things to pinpoint the smell.

first off, has the car ever been in an accident? if not, this is very much covered under warranty. burnt fumes in the passenger area is not normal. especially after activating something mechanical in ur car such as the AC. if the dealer dont take care of it...call Toyota Headquarters. also check to see if there are TSBs or recalls on ur car regarding this issue.

Last edited:
I would tell you if it was any other auto mfg that, yes, it will be covered. Unfortunately my experience with Toyota is they love to say nothing is wrong or it is normal and avoid fixing it.
21.gif
They "should" fix it/check it out for you without question.

I know when I worked dealer service you would have been hauled in ASAP. Electrical issues like that, and "burnt" odors generally mean wiring shorting/burning, take priority as a car fire is a possibility. Burning wire, or any kind of hot/burning, smell is never a good thing.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Refrigerant oil has a kind of burnt smell to it. At least the oil used with R12 systems does; I don't know if R134 system oil does.

You may have a leak in the system someplace that's seeping oil.

Take it in before your warranty expires. I have 3 Toyota products and the dealers are very good with taking care of any issues. If you can replicate the smell and take the service advisor for a ride that will help them disgnose it. BTW, have you changed your cabin air filter?

Originally Posted By: PT1
Take it in before your warranty expires. I have 3 Toyota products and the dealers are very good with taking care of any issues. If you can replicate the smell and take the service advisor for a ride that will help them disgnose it. BTW, have you changed your cabin air filter?

+1

Don't take it in until you have replaced the cabin air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back