Do you think M1 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil1 has always been a good cleaner.

Tough to compare to PP, though. They are both quite excellent.

I would use PP. It's got great UOA's here, cleans very well and in most cases is cheaper than M1.
grin2.gif

In my observation, PP cleans better than M1. I ran M1 in our Pontiac since 1500 miles, and switched to PP a year ago at 72k miles. Looking into the filler, everything always looked very clean. But the first drain of PP was much darker than usual, subsequent drains not so dark. What I can see through the filler is even cleaner than before the switch- it honestly looks new at 85k miles.

OCIs based on the Oil Life Monitor averaging 7k miles with AC PF47 filters.

Originally Posted By: ron917
In my observation, PP cleans better than M1. I ran M1 in our Pontiac since 1500 miles, and switched to PP a year ago at 72k miles. Looking into the filler, everything always looked very clean. But the first drain of PP was much darker than usual, subsequent drains not so dark. What I can see through the filler is even cleaner than before the switch- it honestly looks new at 85k miles.

rockers.jpg

330,000Km (rest of the engine looks the same inside). M1 since 220,000Km.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

rockers.jpg

330,000Km (rest of the engine looks the same inside). M1 since 220,000Km.
Looking real good

I doubt PP cleans better than M1, about all it could hope to do is clean as well as M1.

And it probably does, but I haven't seen long term results yet like I have with M1.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I doubt PP cleans better than M1, about all it could hope to do is clean as well as M1.

And it probably does, but I haven't seen long term results yet like I have with M1.

Exactly, I've been using M1 since the early 90's, how many years has PP been around for now?

+1 for M1 awsome cleaning power.

I do not have any pictures but when I switched the wife's explorer from dino to M1 it cleaned the top end right up. From what I could see through the oil fill cap anyways. Looks like new with almost 90,000 miles. Been getting better mileage too. Averaging 22+ MPG.

I reported based on my observations. The only way to know for sure is to run PP and M1 in identical engines under identical conditions and compare the results. I don't have the money or time to do the experiments, so I have to go with what I observe in my environment.

One other thing I observed: the Montana has been consuming 1/2 quart of PP between OCs (approx 7k miles). It never consumed any M1. No visible leaks. Is it the result of the oil or just increased wear as the engine ages? I won't know unless I switch back to M1 - maybe next time.

I reported based on my observations. The only way to know for sure is to run PP and M1 in identical engines under identical conditions and compare the results. I don't have the money or time to do the experiments, so I have to go with what I observe in my environment.

One other thing I observed: the Montana has been consuming 1/2 quart of PP between OCs (approx 7k miles). It never consumed any M1. No visible leaks. Is it the result of the oil or just increased wear as the engine ages? I won't know unless I switch back to M1 - maybe next time.

Our '03 Montana loves M1 0w30,no usage at all. good mileage

Not dissing M1, I use it myself, but keeping an engine clean is a different story than cleaning an already gunked up engine. No oil is going to do a real good job of cleaning up. For a good cleaner, you need something like Auto-RX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back