Do you think M1 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
At lest M1 is good at something...

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tones
Not dissing M1, I use it myself, but keeping an engine clean is a different story than cleaning an already gunked up engine. No oil is going to do a real good job of cleaning up. For a good cleaner, you need something like Auto-RX.

Have you seen my recent oil filter pictures?

I don't think I would want any more intensive cleaning than what is being performed.....

Instead of worrying about slightly above average Fe levels, which probably amount to nothing at all, I'd rather have an oil keep the engine clean and free of deposits which are exponentially worse than fe levels. Platinum seems to hold up better when more fuel is in the oil than Mobil 1.

I too would readily discount the slightly higher Fe levels, but I have to say Valvoline's sequence IVA claim has somewhat shaken my faith in M1.

If M1 5W-30 is really showing wear rates double the 90 micron limit in that test, that is just insane. Sequence IVA wear has some wear correlations with other engine parts too, such as piston wrist pin.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 has the class not to engage in the XXXX wars.

Or they're fully aware that they would lose.

One or the other.

The XXXX wars was a desperate act by Ashland to increase sales of Valvoline to put that company in a more favorable light for sale. It seems interesting the XXXX wars came just prior to their trying to sell off Valvoline.

BP seems to have corroborated those claims though. If the claims were completely false, I would expect XOM to respond with legal action and they haven't.

I really don't know what to make of that whole ordeal. But you know the old saying, "Where there's smoke, there's usually fire."
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

If anyone showed any class there, I think it was Shell for not joining in those ridiculous and misleading marketing claims. Double the LIMIT still has me scratching my head, though.
crazy2.gif

I also respect Shell and Pennzoil both for not advertising that way. But I also think XM has shown class for not responding in kind to such claims as the competition has made.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
That's a big assumption.

Yes that is an assumption on my part but I thought the timming is interesting by Ashland.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I too would readily discount the slightly higher Fe levels, but I have to say Valvoline's sequence IVA claim has somewhat shaken my faith in M1.

If M1 5W-30 is really showing wear rates double the 90 micron limit in that test, that is just insane. Sequence IVA wear has some wear correlations with other engine parts too, such as piston wrist pin.

Yeah I don't think XOM should be held unaccountable if they did fail as poorly as Valvoline claimed. One outside shot is that they threw a hail marry attempt to keep them afloat. Big assumption. Regardless, the Seq IVA isn't that relevant to my particular driving style so I don't really care.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The XXXX wars was a desperate act by Ashland to increase sales of Valvoline to put that company in a more favorable light for sale. It seems interesting the XXXX wars came just prior to their trying to sell off Valvoline.
Sounds logical to me. If its 4X better maybe we can squeeze out 4x the profits.

Originally Posted By: buster
Regardless, the Seq IVA isn't that relevant to my particular driving style so I don't really care.

You always make sure your oil is warmer than 120 degrees before driving?
21.gif
The test is also conducted at 800 rpm, it even seems pretty relevant for warm up time.
21.gif

It's only a 100 hour test, I would imagine an engine sees quite a bit a time under similar conditions over a 100K-200K mile life, no?

That is true, I just don't think it's really an issue. I could be wrong. It's supposedly a tough test, but if you are under 90 microns, it's then kind of irrelevant as both XOM, Amsoil and Shell have said.
21.gif

The API did confirm Mobil 1 passes the API test AFAIK. Their oils are all listed on the website. It's one very small area of importance,but not the end all of tests. That was my point. Most engines don't seem to have lubrication problems and I think it would show up more if Mobil 1 had wear control issues...never know though.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back