Do You See the Problem?

the problem isn't the brake fluid, there's moisture getting under the boots. the lower pistons always seize first. Same caliper is used on the Mitsubishi Pajero LWB, seen hundreds of them, most seized if you don't deal with the moisture.

I got it replaced last night. Took me 5 hours from start to finish to do both front rotors, pads and the one caliper and change a brake line. 4:30-9:30pm

Lost a spring that holds the pins that the pads slide on. Searched 10 minutes. The wheel fell over and knocked over the plastic pan I had been catching the brake fluid in which in turn sprayed all over the LS430 passenger door and front fender. Realizing brake fluid is bad for the paint, I went to take the LS430 down into the lower driveway to wash it quickly. Raised the garage door and my wife had parked behind me and wasn't at home. Moved cars and headed to lower driveway for a quick wash job but the Civic was blocking the lower drive way. Got peed off and drove the LS430 around the house through the yard and into the lower driveway so the brake fluid covered side would be towards the outside light so I could see what I was washing. Got that done and was heading out with the GX470 to take my junk to the dumpsters. Pulling out of the driveway I heard a clunk from the left front (the side that I replaced the caliper and brake line) Drove down the hill heard another clunk. Got nervous and came back home and started to take of the wheel for a do over. Decided it was time to eat at 9:00. Put on a pot of Campbell's tomato soup. Then decided come hell or high water I was gonna take the junk to the dumpsters. Took off again and finally the clunking stopped. Hmmm. Get to the dumpsters and dumpster divers are at work. Pitch black, in PJ's, no concealed weapon. Dumpster divers drive over to my car. Big rocks hurt my bare feet. Leave coming home wondering what happened to the clunk.

Half way home I had an epiphany! I had left a magnetic light in the front axle area. It had flopped around until it had gotten firmly lodged in among the springs and such. And I remembered my soup. Called wife and asked her to turn the soup down and she said it had stuck already. Got home and pulled out that tube of Cracker Barrel cheese and got some crackers and finished off the soup that wasn't stuck to the bottom while watching Judge Judy reruns.

Too tired to sleep. Aching and hurting so bad I ate some Advil and Tylenol and went to bed at 11:00 pm

Got up this morning to go to work and guess what else I found. That little spring.

Got babybacks on the Kamado Joe with an ETA of 6:30. All the kids and grandkids will be here. All's well that ends well.(y)

Back