Do You See the Problem?

My wife's GX470 was starting to shudder on extended braking. So, I get me new Toyota Rotors and Pads. Got my inside garage door open with a fan
blowing out the cool inside air on me as I plop my butt on the stool. Get the wheel off and couldn't compress one side on the pistons (inside ones). I was using one of those devices that does all 4 at once. Sorta got me puzzled. Anyways, get caliper off and used some pliers to push the pistons in farther. Well, here is what I ended up with. 3 pistons go in but one doesn't. I take off the rubber boot and look what I found. Snacklefrackers! And you know I ain't going to
anyplace but my dealer for the parts $$$$

And to show you how He works, I sold my Z-Turn 30 minutes later. And it hadn't been advertised. A friend and I were talking on the phone about stuff. He asked me why I kept the Z-Turn as I hardly ever used it. I told him it was the hoarder in me. He said he would buy it if I ever wanted to sell it (He knows I am a maintenance freak!). I asked him what it was worth thinking about the expense of the rotors, pads and caliper. He made me an offer and he bought it.

I do have a question, why did this piston rust like that? I have removed the rubber pieces for the pic.
IMG_4985.jpg

My wife's GX470 was starting to shudder on extended braking. So, I get me new Toyota Rotors and Pads. Got my inside garage door open with a fan
blowing out the cool inside air on me as I plop my butt on the stool. Get the wheel off and couldn't compress one side on the pistons (inside ones). I was using one of those devices that does all 4 at once. Sorta got me puzzled. Anyways, get caliper off and used some pliers to push the pistons in farther. Well, here is what I ended up with. 3 pistons go in but one doesn't. I take off the rubber boot and look what I found. Snacklefrackers! And you know I ain't going to

And to show you how He works, I sold my Z-Turn 30 minutes later. And it hadn't been advertised. A friend and I were talking on the phone about stuff. He asked me why I kept the Z-Turn as I hardly ever used it. I told him it was the hoarder in me. He said he would buy it if I ever wanted to sell it (He knows I am a maintenance freak!). I asked him what it was worth thinking about the expense of the rotors, pads and caliper. He made me an offer and he bought it.

I do have a question, why did this piston rust like that? I have removed the rubber pieces for the pic.
Are these the original calipers? New Elements 3 $90ea Rock Auto.

Are these the original calipers? New Elements 3 $90ea Rock Auto.
You lost me which isn't a difficult task. Are these 2 sentences related? LOL

What I have is to my knowledge the original calipers. I can't find the "New Elements" under 2007 GX470 Calipers on Rock Auto.
Pretend you are talking to a 12 year old.

You know I love you.....

One of my used cars had a piston rubber boot with a straight cut on one of the pleats. Like somebody clean snipped that small piece with scissors.
That's the small things that you find with used cars...
Beauty is that once you fix it (most of them), then you have a trustworthy car.

PS: I think I see a dent on that piston cylinder. Like it was dropped on a previous brake job.

Are these 2 sentences related? LOL
He's telling you to buy NEW calipers of the Element 3 variety (made by Raybestos). You can buy NEW or remanufactured calipers and from his experience, remanufactured calipers are hit or miss when it comes to quality, reliability, etc.

I’ve had excellent success with restored calipers from Goldline Brakes and PMB Performance. PMB restored Girling caliper for the 240 wagon.

Attachments

• 82E9A056-4D29-4CB6-A68B-952F0D49A66F.jpeg
    82E9A056-4D29-4CB6-A68B-952F0D49A66F.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 13
  • B96D12F2-809B-4B69-B720-1E9985892D38.jpeg
    B96D12F2-809B-4B69-B720-1E9985892D38.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 13
  • EC036FDD-522B-4304-A2D3-295EB7A3DD28.jpeg
    EC036FDD-522B-4304-A2D3-295EB7A3DD28.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DDC905EF-CB8C-49BB-8541-7F351DFA5FFA.jpeg
    DDC905EF-CB8C-49BB-8541-7F351DFA5FFA.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Fellow GX470 owner here. The brake calipers are notorious for seizing up. The popular option is to replace with GX460 calipers, pads and rotors on the front.

Edge solutions are to coat the pistons or replace with titanium.

Links below:
IH8mud GX460 thread:

Can't find the piston coated thread but will post if I do.

Get calipers that Trav said.
I would avoid Toyota rotors and pads unless vehicle is babied. I have same brakes on Prado in Europe (basically GX470 just diesel) and brakes were the weakest part (among many). I finally resolved issues with EBC rotors.

Well, I didn't get the forum updates via email??????

I just saw ya'll's posts.

So, I already had the rotors and pads and the Toyota Caliper came in today.
Fellow GX470 owner here. The brake calipers are notorious for seizing up. The popular option is to replace with GX460 calipers, pads and rotors on the front.

Edge solutions are to coat the pistons or replace with titanium.

Links below:
IH8mud GX460 thread:

Can't find the piston coated thread but will post if I do.
Well, I wish I had seen this earlier. I'm gonna print and save. Thank you!

I do have a question, why did this piston rust like that? I have removed the rubber pieces for the pic.View attachment 61859

Moisture gets under the rubber and there you go. Repaired loads of these, and replaced another load. I put some silicon grease under the boot and that stopped the seizing.

Back