Do you run synthetic oil longer than conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find any proof that an average synthetic oil [group III] will last any longer than convention [Castrol/Shell/Penn], but some people say synthetic last 3 times as long. I would run a typical synthetic about 1.5 times that of conventional. What do you say?

Plenty of UOA's on the site for both types that say otherwise. The question typically is--do most people run synthetic 1.5x (or more) than a conventional thereby making it worth it?

I have no proof, as I don't do UOA's.

But Mobil 1 must be on to something or they wouldn't guarantee their filters for 15K miles when used with synthetic motor oil. Group III base stocks are not excluded. If they required Group IV or Group V base stock for this they'd have their requirements phrased that way.

You know ExxonMobil's VISOM base stock is Group III right? XOM says it's Group III+, but that's not an official API base oil group designation. Visom is a play on the terms viscosity and isomerization.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/UK-English/Basestocks/PDS/GLXXENBSKEMVisom.aspx.

Since our vehicles are still under manufacturer's warranties I have no intention of even trying extended drains until those warranties are no longer in effect. One has a 12 month / 10K mile max OCI/FCI, the other has 6 month / 8K mile OCI / FCI requirement.

I figure I do about the same..but it gives me piece of mind if I do take it further..but I personally dont even care..syn is cheap and not relatively alot more expensive at regular prices. I figure about 15$ for conventional and 23-24$ for syn..to me its barely anything but I do think it would allow you to extend your intervals over conventional.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The question is what would you do? Twice as long? No longer at all? What is your number?

Twice as long, my LS400 OCI: dino 7-8k/6mo, synthetic 15-18k/12mo, filter once a year for either type.

S2000: dino 6 months, synthetic 12 months, filter once a year for either type.

E430: synthetic only with FSS down to zero(MB Oil Life Monitor) or 1 year which ever is first.

Many cargo expediter drivers run synthetic oil over 15,000 miles, but they do not post in here. There are expediters that run from Laredo tx to Michigan many times a month. Long hours of idle are normal, some as long as 4 or 5 days steady, year around. In four years , 300 to 400 thousand miles is routine. Most are running standard v8 engines in cargo vans. Most folks in here do not get anywhere near this type of hard running--no Sunday school driving in expediting, it is usually u know whats to the wall boys. You cannot do the 3000 mile oil change out there on the road, that 3000 miles can go in 7 days, and you can see how expensive that gets real quick ,plus it becomes a nuisance, but some do it. Very very few are big on oil additives and such.

So yes, the synthetic users run it a lot longer then conventional, it just makes sense to do it.

I went from 3.000 mile OCI's in 1988 to 10,000 mile OCI's by 1993. I would say that I have more than recovered my costs.

I just run it 4900 miles every two weeks and have them change it when they rotate my tires every 5k for warranty. I dont mind changing out pennzoil ultra when I have a gdi and it only holds a little bit over 3 qts anyway. It may seem a waste but I would rather change oil too often over an engine. I ran my free oci on dino and it didnt even make it two weeks before it needed top off. My daily route is too much to put it to chance.

I run PP/PU, Edge, and M1 to 10k when there's no OLM.

When there is an OLM, I run the cheapest syn on sale, or Maxlife synblend, to the OLM suggestions.

The question is what would you do? Twice as long? No longer at all? What is your number?

I wouldn't run our vehicles to their specified OCI / FCI mileage on conventional oil.

Prior to this our vehicles were running syn blend except for one run of conventional in my truck this summer, which I changed out at 3K due to the 3K mile specification of the PureOne filter I was running at that time, and to get ready for this winter.

I've been able to purchase GpIII base synthetic oil at a better price point than synthetic blend oil this year, and even at a better price point than Supertech conventional oil. So we're running syn now to the manufacturer's OCI / FCI. I got caught by surprise in mid-January this year by a OLM so I had my oil & filter changed for me (which I hate) because there was no way I was going to do a OCI / FCI in my driveway in mid-Jan. 2014. My next OCI / FCI is scheduled for 4/15/15

With my driving style, fuel dilution and condensation can be an issue. Synthetic wont keep that from happening, so I would change it at the same time. If it was a highway cruiser, then sure run synthetic longer.

My Chevy 5.3 is easy on oil so I run 10k on M1 or Edge and 15k on Amsoil. My UOA say to go 16k but I don't want to go over 1 year. I know turbos and DI are hard on oil bit I cringe to see 3k-5k changes anymore.

15000km intervals. Using whatever name brand syn I have in stock.
I've got engines with mileages high enough to equal a moon visit,and the top ends remain spotless through the fill hole.
A fool and his money.........

I have ran a conventional for 10K and a synthetic for 15K. Both oils still had life left in them when drained. Pick your poison...

All 2010_FX4 UOAs To Date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back