Do you need any more?

Just a personal view… SAPS are additives installed by the oil blender. Sulfated ash is used for valve seat and piston rings wear. Chasing more (or less) than what the OM requires regarding the oil qualified per the stated OCI is not doing anything good for the engine. The engine is unique to the required oil.

Suppose your engine eats oil?

Just to clarify, sulfated ash isn't added to the oil, it is a result of the ASTM test for ash residue in the oil. The sulfated part comes in because the test has you react the oil with sulfuric acid prior to ignition.

The material properties and additives that make up the acronym "SAPS" may or may not be beneficial at higher levels depending on the engine design, engine condition and operating conditions such as fuel quality.

Sorry… i did not mean to say that ash is a direct additive but a result of the additives installed and happens after combustion. But ash has a function. Not too much or too little but the right balance. Suppose you think low SAPS oil are good for your engine?

Last edited:
The limits for sulphated ash have decreased some with the dexos1 Gen3 specs.

Makes no sense. Please clarify and explain.
I think what @Bill_W is asking is the following:

Given that too much sulphated ash is detrimental, what can be done in an instance where an engine burns a lot of oil? As you top up to combat the oil consumption condition, do you ever reach a point that the sulphated ash deposits become detrimental to engine health?

I think what @Bill_W is asking is the following:

Given that too much sulphated ash is detrimental, what can be done in an instance where an engine burns a lot of oil? As you top up to combat the oil consumption condition, do you ever reach a point that the sulphated ash deposits become detrimental to engine health?
My point is Porsche, MB, BMW, VW all have standards for their engines. Why would you want these approvals for your engine if not required? Oil is a balance with the OCI too.

My point is Porsche, MB, BMW, VW all have standards for their engines. Why would you want these approvals for your engine if not required? Oil is a balance with the OCI too.
What are the sulphated ash limits on the oils specified by Porsche, MB, BMW and VW ?

Euro oil specs are typically more stringent and better than API/ILSAC oil specs ... so some people use Euro spec oil even if their vehicle maker doesn't specify those oil specs.

Last edited:
Directions unclear. Oil now pregnant.

Low Noack for better protection!

in order to confuse the consumer, most are now hiding behind "Less than %15" ...

Publish the real numbers! Until then I am sticking with good 10W-30s. It also has less plastic which is another number (%plastic) they should publish. Real oil needs no vm 🤮

Low SAPS are oil additives taken away.
But one needs to discriminate as to whether they are needed or even beneficial. Just because something was removed doesn't mean it automatically makes the product worse or less desirable. ACEA C sequence oils still meet stringent wear and oxidation resistance requirements.

But one needs to discriminate as to whether they are needed or even beneficial. Just because something was removed doesn't mean it automatically makes the product worse or less desirable. ACEA C sequence oils still meet stringent wear and oxidation resistance requirements.
That is the balance… And not to jump on the low SAPS bandwagon but to understand what your engine needs. Gasoline particulate filter and the P part of SAPS.

The approval specifications the oil qualifies for? Like ACEA C1 to C5? Engines evolve and oil specs evolve too.

Last edited:
Back