Do you love a good rain/thunder storm?

I like to sit on our front porch and watch storms pass through our area. Always monitor their progress by our NOAA weather radio and the Weather Channel's Doppler radar. Very good tools to have available, especially in the Midwest where huge, destructive storms are always possible. We have a chance at some rain the first of this week. Hope it's more than what we have received so far this summer.

I have always loved thunderstorms...

I did some storm chasing in my younger days.

Closest lightning strikes nearest me have been while driving.

You know that bolt is close when you see that florescent pink light with that bolt hitting that close to you. It's a massive explosion with the lightning at the same time.
Guy at my work storm chasers.

Thunder storms make me sleep like a baby! We are supposed to get rain Monday and Tuesday,

Hope it get's loud for my sleep. Been dry here for over a month, we need the moisture.

We had an oversized awning put over our driveway.Perfect for my Frontier and her Pathfinder.And plenty of room to sit when it rains but if the storm is too electrical we wait till the worst is over.Since snow is a one time a year event around here we will bundle up and watch the snow fall during the day.

I used to work on the rail road, freight yards, never passenger work. Always had rain gear handy. Storms would come thru in the middle of the night and pour. Got wet but never soaked. We would dry our gear by the heat from kerosene stoves in the caboose. (Yea, I’m that old). I loved the rain, being outside throwing switches, climbing to the top of boxcars to tie down brakes. Now I’m just sitting in my chair watching the Weather Channel, that’s life.

I love it as long as it's during a time when I can enjoy it and don't have to be out in it.

I hate when there's a downpour on my lunch break or at the end of the day when I'm closing gates and stuff at work. I also hate it when it happens while I'm running errands and basically getting in and out of the car a lot.

The worst situation though is when you get a leak in your house. I had an odd gutter back up issue that caused water to get in around a bedroom window, and that ruined what had been a nice storm to listen to.

As long as I am inside, don't have to go outside, and don't have to deal with leaks, I love a good thunderstorm.

Between lightning and thunder three seconds the gap
A warm candle glow keeps this wood room from black
My cat, she sleeps on an old clippy mat
Purring out echoes of faint pitter-pat

As the rain pours down in the yard
Rain, a most haunting sound
Rain makes beautiful music and
Rain brings peace upon all whom it falls

My subconscious and I are back on speaking terms
He is sending me colours and beautiful words
And far, far away are the harsh city folk
I'm surrounded by country, surrounded by night

Through a crack in the window meanders a breeze
Aids the mimic of crickets through the rustling of leaves
And the ghost need not scare me, they're welcome within
To share my rye whiskey and watch with me

Rain by Martin Stephenson and The Daintees

Had a nice several hour rain last night/early morning, which started as a squall line with heavy rain. After that the rain lulled me back to sleep. Rain on the roof is great ASMR

Last edited:
Back