Do you lock your stuff up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by opus1
Religiously.

Even to the point of locking the vehicles in the garage, and taking in the remote from the car parked in the driveway.

My subdivision has a Facebook page and every so often there will be a post about 'x' number of cars were broken-into the night before and when things are investigated it turns out that all the cars were out in the driveway, unlocked, and people left their wallet or computer in the car. One busy night 5 vehicles were affected - 4 were unlocked and the 5th one had the window broken because the owner left their computer bag in the back seat. And don't you dare point out that maybe people should lock their cars and take their computer and wallet in the house because you will then be accused of "victim shaming."

Mayberry only existed on TV, and even they had Ernest T. Bass running around making life miserable for residents.

Our area was like that as well. Never understood parking in the street when you have an attached garage like most of the houses did, but that's where they wanted to park.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by Blaze
I live in a very remote area. Closest neighbor is one mile away. We lock nothing up besides the guns which are in a safe. We do have a camera in the driveway.

Living somewhere remote should actually mean you are on higher defense because the sounds of a crime being committed won't be heard by neighbors. It would be incredibly easy for a truck full of criminals to come raid your home in the middle of the night and nobody would witness or hear it.

That is what I think when I drive past this new house in my area that was built in the middle of a field, they have a big iron gate but there is no one else on the road, the house is down hill from the closest road to it, kind of in a valley/

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by Blaze
I live in a very remote area. Closest neighbor is one mile away. We lock nothing up besides the guns which are in a safe. We do have a camera in the driveway.

Living somewhere remote should actually mean you are on higher defense because the sounds of a crime being committed won't be heard by neighbors. It would be incredibly easy for a truck full of criminals to come raid your home in the middle of the night and nobody would witness or hear it.

Six Aussies in a fenced area surrounding the house for the alarm besides a driveway alarm. Inside two adults one armed with AR-15 and the other a Mossberg shotgun. Highly doubt this would be an incredibly easy rip-off in the middle of the night while making noise, LOL!.

Now if no one was home maybe but everything is insured. There are some things you can do nothing about nor worry about. Its life. We have lived here since 1993 and never had an issue.

Ok so by far most people that replied lock everything up. Did you lock things up 20 years ago to the extent you do now? What is different now in your area that compels you to lock things up? More gang activity? Peoples morals have changed? What is it that is different now ?
In my town crimes don't have jack for punishment. I've heard horror stories about police not doing s about going after theives. I always remember my neighbor in Oklahoma in 82 finally catching the 2 gas theives in our alley one night after 2 months of theft. He chased them for 2 blocks with a 5 ft chunk of garden hose whipping the [censored] out of each of them as he caught them. Needless to say that was the last crime in our hood as long as I lived there. Did we citizens take the law in our own hands more back then? What is different now? In your opinion

Originally Posted by P10crew
Ok so by far most people that replied lock everything up. Did you lock things up 20 years ago to the extent you do now? What is different now in your area that compels you to lock things up? More gang activity? Peoples morals have changed? What is it that is different now ?
In my town crimes don't have jack for punishment. I've heard horror stories about police not doing s about going after theives. I always remember my neighbor in Oklahoma in 82 finally catching the 2 gas theives in our alley one night after 2 months of theft. He chased them for 2 blocks with a 5 ft chunk of garden hose whipping the [censored] out of each of them as he caught them. Needless to say that was the last crime in our hood as long as I lived there. Did we citizens take the law in our own hands more back then? What is different now? In your opinion

Too litigious now. The thieves can sue to easily.

I have always locked up. In a big city you do what you can to prevent loss. Nowadays the streets around here become like the night scenes in the movie The Omega Man. Addicts, homeless and criminals of all kinds are out and about looking for opportunities.

In case you think I am exaggerating, check out Neighborhood Scout for crime statistics. On a scale of 1-100 with 100 being the safest, Seattle gets a 3. Tacoma gets a 2

That is pitiful.

Sue happy culture, "I can do what I want" attitudes, people being "friends" with their kids instead of parenting...

My neighborhood has gotten A LOT better since the early 90's when I purchased my property! I never got over the habit of locking everything up though. Living in a large city (13th in the nation) comes with its own set of problems & will never be free of crime.

Always have. I grew up in a smaller town that was safe but that didn't mean that people from other areas can't come in and cause problems. We never left the house/garage or car unlocked even if we were home. Now I live in a large city that is relatively safe, but things happen. I have to admit that I didn't start taking the opener inside when I parked the car in the driveway until I heard of several neighbors having their house burglarized because they didn't lock the door between the house and garage and someone got into the car and used the remote to open the garage and then got into the house via the unlocked door. My garage/house door is always locked, by the way.

Many years ago a friend had her house broken into and her car stolen. Turns out the thief's method was to take one of the train lines out of Chicago to one of the "safe" areas, walk around until they found a house to break into, loaded up any vehicle left in the garage and then took off with the car and the stuff being stolen. So, again, safe is a relative term and it never hurts to be reasonably security-conscious. In that case, she did all she could and still got burglarized, but that doesn't mean that one should just give up and leave everything open. At least make the perp work for their stolen goods...

The media, which is losing credibility and subscribers daily, decided that polarizing this country with victimhood is a great way to generate controversy that they can cover to get clicks/likes and revenue.

People are people, but what influences us has changed since the days when you couldn't get your hourly outrage in your pocket device.

I live in a nice area, on fenced and gated property. Unfortunately, the thieving scumbags who mostly live in a community 20 or so miles away (according to Police Officer friends) know that too.

We (my closest neighbors and I) have cameras. And just to get on my property would require some effort. If they succeed, I'll know about it, the security company will know about it, and the cops will know about it. If they get to the house, they'll find it locked. If they get inside, they'll find NRA members who can handle themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back