Do you have to shake oil before pouring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best synthetic out there?
I mean is Mobil 1 better then Royal Purle, eg.

quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
Otherwise, how do you get those black specs out that I see in the bottom of Mobil 1 Bottles?

A residual bottom sediment isn't just in long-standing M-1, either. I've seen a fine, dark sediment in Proline, SuperTech, Chevron Supreme, and Mobil Drive Clean, too, if I don't invert the unopened bottle and shake. (I believe by inverting and shaking, the result is a more vigorous sloshing action to bring the sediment back into suspension faster.) To those who insist that there're no particulates in current motor oils to settle out, I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm just reporting what I've seen and personally verified with strong light shined into an unshaken, drained bottle. On another occasion, I poured a small amount of lacquer thinner into an unshaken, drained bottle and shook. Then I poured the contents into a clean small glass bottle. The very slightly hazy shaken fluid fully clarified after several weeks with a thin sediment layer on the bottom of the tightly sealed glass bottle. There may be another explanation than intentional particulates from the oil manufacturer, and I'm open to comments. In the meantime, I intend to continue shaking my oil before pouring it into my engine. It certainly can't hurt anything to do so.

-Ray Haeffele

I don't on motor oils. I never do on 2-cycle oil because if it came out of suspension/solution you would never know it. And from experience this can happen. When you start to pour it, and it has a problem, it will be large jelly like lumps and/or very heavy like syrup.

It won't hurt anything by shaking, but honestly folks, I have never observed sedimentation in any modern motor oil over the last twenty years.

[ January 30, 2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
It won't hurt anything by shaking, but honestly folks, I have never observed sedimentation in any modern motor oil over the last twenty years.

I have, and in Mobil 1 SuperSyn. My question: Is this additives that have come out of suspension/solution?

[ January 30, 2003, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

I thought about this the other day. If a bottle was sitting on the shelf for over a year, is there any particulates that fall to the bottom eg. iced tea, OJ...and require a shake before pouring? Do heavier viscosity molecules fall to the bottom as well?

I have seen a lot of light sediment in Mobil 1 over the years and somewhere I got an explanation that it was corrosion or rust from the piping in the refinery/bottling plant. Probably one reason to use an oil filter even if "they serve no purpose on a modern engine".

quote:

Originally posted by 2K2AcuraTL:
My .02c worth..
I found a noticable deposits in Quaker-State and especialy in Castrol (synth).
J

FWIW, everytime I'm in Wal-Mart I pick up a few bottles of the QuakerState that comes in the clear bottles and I've never seen any sediment in the bottom. I guess when you put your oil in clear plastic, you take the necessary step to make sure sedimentation doesn't happen.
wink.gif

This reminds me of a friend at work about 5 yrs ago. He got some Mobil 1 from Walmart to change oil on his Gold Wing M/C, he always used it. He poured in 1 qt of oil and started to pour in the second, it wa ATF (auto trans fluid). I saw the open quart, I told him to keep it but he was PO'd and gave it to Walmart to get another quart of oil out of them.

I use redline 75w90 gear oil and every quart bottle, about 6 total so far I've looked into, had a little sediment in the bottom. I figured it might have been poor bottling and outside contaminatin, not the additives of the oil falling out ?
confused.gif

I shake virgously with my left hand and have never had a problem wit my 25year old self winding watch. Seriously -- never shake but pour carefully and observe what might be lurking in the oil container -- I don't want anything but oil getting into the engine. Call me parinoid but in my 45 years of doing oil changes I've never found any stuff lurking on the bottom.

I store my gallon jugs upside down prior to use. That way any additives that settle out will go directly into the engine. I have always done this.

I had some leftover dino oil(container opened before) sitting in my basement for the last 4 years. When I looked into the container, I could see the bottom was thickened oil, no matter how I shook it, it wouldnt remix.

I also had a 4L unopened container, also sitting for 4 years, but didnt have this phenomena.

Automotive oils are generally homogeneous mixtures. If there's stuff at the bottom of the bottle, it's time to buy a new bottle.

[ February 01, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: 68redlines73 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back