Do you have to replace plugs after Seafoam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it really necessary? I just replaced the plugs and I don't want to do them again.

I need to get the chamber clean for the winter.

shouldnt have to. i usually do a seafoam type treatment before i do the plugs.

i was at a training class for my work (major nationwide auto maintianence company) and volunteered my car for the fuel system cleaning. it was the system from Run-Rite. my car ran alright on the drive home from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara, but the next day it ran really bad. i pulled the plugs and all the electrodes were red, some had grey deposits. these plugs were about 5K miles old. Autolite 764 coppers. i had put them in a couple months before when i took it to Buttonwillow Raceway.

just use a quart of water injected by same technique....leaves the plugs spotless....search forum
water injection made the British Merlin/Griffin aircraft v12's the top fighter aircraft engines of WW2....powered everything from the Spitfires, the Mosquito bomber to even the US made Mustang....perfectly clean engines ran for hundreds of hours.....Pratt & Whitney radials had to be torn down and deposits cleaned every 25>50 hours or they fell out of the sky

[ September 15, 2006, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Steelhead ]

You can use water yes. Distilled water, through the brake booster line to intake, it virtually steam cleans and balsts everything in thier. As for the plugs, i use mopar combustion chamber cleaner once a year, on my 1995 neon, prior to changing plugs. Ive read form others, who have used seafoam, its realy jsut a mild detergent, in my opinion, but all recommended changing plugs after combustion chamber cleaning, just in case. Regular coppers go for just over a dollar anyways.

Yea, I am the guy that posted the water combustion chamber cleaning a year or two ago.

I might try this again to clear out some crud.

So do you just jam the brake booster hose into a container of water or let it sip up the water a little bit at a time?

It may work better to put the water in a shallow bowl and SLOWLY suck it up. I wouldn't just jam it in a container as you risk hydrolock.

As you may have seen, I recently made a big thread about my Seafoam cleaning. I too was worried about plug fouling, but I never changed the plugs, and the car continues to run awesome after the treatment. I think you'll have no worries not changing them.

You allow the hose to sip up some water froma cup or bowl.

use the PCV valve line, not the brake booster.

I would try the PCV but I can not get at it. It is packed in the back. So the BB is way easier.

Oh, for the record I seafoamed 4 cars and the plugs where fine.

Excellent.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back