Do you have a top mounted filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious. Many Audi's do. Whats your make/model?

Mine is a 2007 Audi S4, OEM is Hengst/Mann.

Because its top mounted, it just comes by itself with the paper filter element, right? Not in a metal canister?

Theres mine, easy to get to
cool.gif
(not my dirty filter)
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
On the Cobalt, yes:

On the rest of the fleet, no. The only better setup was on my old '89 S-15 Jimmy 4x4. Due to the u-joint for the front driveshaft being in the way of the oil filter, GM used an adaptor and ran plumbing to a remote mount behind the left headlight. If I was smaller, I could have reached the drain plug and could have done an oil change without any ramps.

The Sedona has a top-mounted cartridge filter. The thing is huge for the size of the motor IMO. While the Miata's isn't on the top of the engine bay, it gets changed from above.

The mercruiser in our boat has a top mounted filter!
laugh.gif

A friends BMW has one too.. Can't remember the model though.

Yes my VW GTI has a top mounted spin on filter. Easiest car I have ever changed oil on. I am planning on getting an Oil extractor so going under my car for an oil change will soon be a thing of the past.

Jeff

If I woke up one day and mine was on top I wouldnt question it and smile.

Way it is I have to shove my head right behind (and I do mean behind) the passenger front tire. Stick my arm threw the wheel well and into the engine compartment/firewall to get mine by the fingertips. Iv been frustrated more then a few times trying to get it back on.

The BMW has a cartridge filter mounted up top while our old W201 had a spin on up top.
Certainly easier to change.

Yes, some engines have the filter on the top, some have the filter on the side, and some have the filter on the bottom. I'll start a thread and see which engines have filter on the bottom..It would be good to know.

When they make one with the filter on the interior, that would be newsworthy,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Yes, some engines have the filter on the top, some have the filter on the side, and some have the filter on the bottom. I'll start a thread and see which engines have filter on the bottom..It would be good to know.

When they make one with the filter on the interior, that would be newsworthy,

You replied with snark on the first page, then came back to complain on the second page.

I see no forum is immune to grouchy old curmudgeons or immature children. Whichever you are, thanks for spreading your misery.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back