Do you have a ritual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago, as a young man, I developed a particular habit at the service station where I worked. Sunday mornings were quiet. When I opened on Sunday, I'd check the wrecker for oil level (it always seemed a quart low) and whatnot before I backed it out of the garage. I ended-up carrying this over into my personal life.

Every Sunday I make it a point to pop the hoods on our cars, check the oil, glance at the other fluid levels, belts, hoses, etc. Then I do a quick walk around to eyeball the tires and see if the mudflaps are still on my wife's van....
wink.gif

My Sunday wouldn't be complete without the ritual.
smile.gif

Just curious, you got a ritual?

I sure do! Every Saturday morning I check the oil on my Firebird and top up as needed. I'll also top up the washer fluid in both cars too. My wife's car doesn't use any oil so I only check it maybe once every month or two.

On the first Saturday of every month I check the tire pressures in both cars too.

Of course, just like you, my weekend ritual happens either on a Saturday or Sunday.

1. Check engine oil level, top-up if required.
2. Check coolant level, add coolant as needed.
3. Check power-steering fluid, add if needed.
4. Check brake/clutch fluids, add as needed.
5. Check windshield washer's water reservoir, add water as needed.
6. Clean the air filter element, if paper-type.

Every other weekend, I check tire pressures. I do all of the foregoing to 3 vehicles, an Isuzu Trooper 3.0L TDI, a Toyota Corolla 1.6L EFI, and a Mitsubishi Adventure (AUV) 2.0L EFI.

Most of that stuff you listed really doesn't need to be checked weekly though does it? For instance the coolant and PS should not change unless there is a problem (although constant checking will alert you to this I guess so I'll be quiet)
smile.gif

Also, does the air filter really get dirty in one week? I leave them on for a year or two and they still look clean.

Well, Patman, having a CDL (commercial drivers license) means that one does these things, plus more, at every departure.

Now, while its true that a semi will rack up 2-3000 miles weekly, the daily average may not be very high. And in leaving a dock where one has been shut off for an hour doesn't change the rule.

Besides if there is a group anywhere on the Internet that is likely to have, or to argue, ritual . . it is likely to be found here.

We simply break down the One True " " into forums,
worshippy.gif

How long does it take to check the level of the coolant in the overflow reservoir? In no time at all, so what the heck, why not take a peek while you're at the middle of your "weekend ritual". If I may add, every month, I will check the actual level of the coolant in the radiator. Why, you may ask? Because the level of the coolant in the overflow reservoir may not indicate that the radiator is full. Why is this so? Because of the possibility that dirt and grime over the years may have clogged-up the rubber tubing and other portions of the connection between the overflow reservoir and the radiator cap, which will result in the coolant to be expelled from the radiator by operation of the radiator cap when the coolant expands inside the radiator.

A year or two and the air filter is still clean? This is possible if you do not drive your car for a year or two, and if you did otherwise, man, you must be lucky, you are driving within a sterile environment or within a vacuum.

So, do you want peace of mind or not?

quote:

Originally posted by ondoy:
So, do you want peace of mind or not?

Personally, I have more peace of mind leaving my air filter housing closed for a few months at a time than I would removing the filter every week. I'd worry that hair, dust, or other crud would end up in the "clean" side of the housing at some point.

mph's reasoning is exactly why I don't open my airbox too often. I don't know how it's possible, but on my wife's Honda I would always change her air filter once a year but found the old one looked barely dirty at all. So this year I just took a quick peek at it and all was well so I left it in. It's working awesome, it showed only 4ppm of silicon on the last 5000 mile oil analysis.

As far as checking coolant goes, if the car has an easy access way to check it, I would check it every time I popped the hood, but in the case of my Firebird it has a black overflow tank that you can't see through, and a wierd plastic dipstick type device which is difficult to read.

ondoy, you have a good point about checking the coolant level in the radiator itself, I'll probably add that to my oil change procedure.

Years ago, I had the opportunity to visit Donaldson-Torit and talk with their engineers for a work related issue. Aside from the work issues, two things subjects we discussed stuck in my mind: filter "seasoning" and maintenance.

I'm sure filter "seasoning" is a concept most of you are familiar with. In a typical air filter, the holes (pores in the media), that block debris vary in size (think statistical distribution). As the filter is used, the larger holes (which are fewer in number) become blocked first(think reducing the mean size). This leads to improved filtration efficiency as the filter is used. As I remember, the most gains in the filtering efficiency occur early in the life of the filter, with a leveling out of the efficiency as the filter reaches mid-life.

Another thing I learned during this trip was problems associated with removing a filter for "cleaning" and inspection. When an air filter is installed, the gasket becomes deformed to provide an air tight seal. Every time the filter is removed and re-installed, the gasket is called on to re-establish that air tight seal. Gaskets take can take a set, they can harden, air filters (and their housings) warp, sometimes it's a wonder you can establish an air tight seal in the first place. A leaking gasket will reduce air filter efficiency BIG TIME. I remember their engineers making a strong point that the best thing you can do for an air filter is to install it carefully, then leave it alone for the life of the element.

I use to tinker around with the air filter, "cleaning" it by tapping it out, inspecting it, etc. Anymore, I try to install it and leave it alone 'till it's time for replacement.

[ January 21, 2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

Everyday, before I leave my driveway, I do a walkaround to check each tire, then peep under the engine to check for any puddles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back