Do you have a favorite spark plug brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated before, it's car specific.

My Ranger gets Motorcraft plugs, The Jeep Liberty gets Mopar plugs and the GTI gets Bosh double platinums.

Only time I ever had a plug issue was when a previuous owner used non OEM plugs. (Autolites in the GTI, Constant misfires and a CEL)

NGK Iridium IX. Denso Iridium second choice but ime generally more expensive than the NGK. Currently AAP a good place to buy with 35% online discount code as posted HERE.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Spark plugs aren't a one size fits all.

IMO what's best is what it came with. Jeeps like Champion, Toyotas like Denso & NGK, GM's like AC Delco etc.

Exactly, do not deviate from OEM in this case.

Last edited:
Denso here, too.

But with 100,000 mile change intervals on the plugs in my cars, it's difficult to get any meaningful data. Most people are only changing their car's plugs once; maybe twice. Two changes gets you to 300,000 miles easily. I just use the same plug model as it came with from the factory.

IMO what's best is what it came with. Jeeps like Champion, Toyotas like Denso & NGK, GM's like AC Delco etc.

This has been my experience also.

GM cars really prefer Delco. Asian cars really prefer NGK or Denso. Bosch is the plug of choice for a VW.

I have found that Bosch plugs are most likely to work pretty good in other applications. But I have always found that the OEM brand performs best. I may go up or down one or two steps in heat range, but I always stay with the brand.

The worst plugs I have ever used are Champion. I've only used them once, and that was probably over 30 years ago, but the engine ran horrible. Perhaps they are better now, but you couldn't pay me to put a set of Champion plugs in a car. I won't even use them in my mower, snow blower, or other yard care equipment.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

This has been my experience also.

GM cars really prefer Delco. Asian cars really prefer NGK or Denso. Bosch is the plug of choice for a VW.

I have found that Bosch plugs are most likely to work pretty good in other applications. But I have always found that the OEM brand performs best. I may go up or down one or two steps in heat range, but I always stay with the brand.

The worst plugs I have ever used are Champion. I've only used them once, and that was probably over 30 years ago, but the engine ran horrible. Perhaps they are better now, but you couldn't pay me to put a set of Champion plugs in a car. I won't even use them in my mower, snow blower, or other yard care equipment.

Aren't a good amount of AC Delcos made by Champion? They were also OEM on some Volvos in the 00's

I like NGK iridiums for dailies, but I always had really good luck with Autolite coppers when I was drag racing (epecially with nitrous). The Autolites were easy to read, and the plug was the sacrificial piece instead of the engine if you got a little crazy on the nitrous tune
smile.gif

My Volvos and Audis get Bosch. Plain old copper-core for the 240. My Iuzu, however had a problem with the original Champions. They carboned up after low speed and short trip driving due to the Delphi Ion Sensing system in the car. I fixed that with Denso plugs that came on most all of the Troopers. Mine, however, was one of the last ones built for the US market and they must have thrown in whatever they had in the parts bin left.

NGKs as a general rule.

The only car where I have to mess with plugs on a semi-regular basis specced Champion, but I've not been happy with the last Champion plugs I've had(admittedly mostly small engine plugs, but I did try one set of Champions in this car). Instead, I use the equivalent NGK Copper Core.

I was an ngk person for a long time but the last couple of sets I got didn't seem to do so well. (misfires, mileage drop). I'm trying bosch and autolite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back