Do you guys trust Fram Ultra oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the filter could or would perform anywhere near where it does if it contained poorly designed parts or substandard materials.

I'd be willing to bet that certain parts, the bypass valve perhaps, were taken from existing, proven, products already in service.

Originally Posted By: martinq
I guess this belongs here too. There's a Fram recall on Subaru filters:
http://fram.com/sites/default/f/uploads/en/recall_notice_02052013_for_distribution.pdf
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/fram-oil-filter-recall-subaru-blue-filters-128149/

On quite the crusade, aren't we? OMG, one Ultra failed due to a manufacturing defect, so that means EVERY SINGLE ONE will destroy EVERY SINGLE MOTOR that they're put on! Always and forever! One batch of Subaru spec'd filters are defective, so EVERY SINGLE SUBARU spec'd Fram filter is a live hand grenade!

Dude, you hate Fram. We get it. No need to keep beating the dead horse.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Just picked up a case of 6 for $18 bucks, will be using them with confidence for the foreseeable future.

What? You picked up 6 of Fram Ultra for $18?

Where????

Just picked up a case of 6 for $18 bucks, will be using them with confidence for the foreseeable future.

A case of 6 Fram Ultra filters for $18 ? It's a steal of the month.

Originally Posted By: jfking106
Dude, you hate Fram. We get it. No need to keep beating the dead horse.

No need to freak out. I'm not on a crusade. No horses were harmed. Breath deep and relax.

... and no I do not hate Fram.

Last edited:
Some of this strikes me as:

Company A makes 2,000,000 parts a year, of those 5000 come back as bad.

Company B makes 200,000 parts a year and 3000 come back as bad.

So company B produces the better quality, right?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

A case of 6 Fram Ultra filters for $18 ? It's a steal of the month.

Not really I had a $15 store credit, but my hoard of filters is complete for the Honda. 2 Mobil 1 EP, 5 Honda AO1's and 6 Fram Ultras. The question is which to use for my spring OCI.

I have never been a fan of Fram oil filters. But I have one of these Ultras on one of my cars now. This isn't a typical Fram oil filter. This is a "Let's compete with Amsoil and Royal Purple" oil filter. I would have no hesitation about using these filters on all of my vehicles forever. Yea, they are that good.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
how many 3k OCIs should I run my Ultra?

Up to 15k total miles on the filter, as stated on the box....

One. Change the filter every OCI.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Umibozu

so 5? LOL Blue should love the idea of that

Last edited:

Why are you doing short (3K) OCIs?

Five changes will work fine with any quality oil. But that is a waste of oil. With a Fram Ultra, I would just do two of 7500 miles each and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Why are you doing short (3K) OCIs?

The stories I hear of 4.0s shearing oil, the stories I hear of conventional 5w-30s shearing quickly to a 20 grade, The large amount of dust I encounter off roading and living on dirt roads, and I do alot of short trips with my main drive only being 12-15 mile to work. I once did a 5k mile run and had a nasty UOA so I just keep it simple at 3k. Its super easy if I'm not changing the filter every time

I bet he cringed when he read it. LoL

I'm on my 3rd OCI so far on my purolator synthetic. 5k intervals on the oil, 20k intervals on the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back