Do you guys trust Fram Ultra oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do come from the same company as the OCOD, but maybe their expensive filters are better? I can't open up a box since they are sealed (unlike other brands. I wonder why!)

AAP's April oil change deal with Castrol Edge includes a Fram Ultra filter

Ultra is an awesome filter. There have been some dissected here and it is nothing like the OCOD. Synthetic wirebacked media and metal end caps.

I am running one right now. Awesome filter. Very solid construction. I have considered buying the EDGE 0w40 with an ULTRA under the AAP promo.

Best filter for the dollar on the market. I've used it without worry.

The only minor nitpick I have with it is that the bypass valve is the same plastic one used in the lower tier Frams. I doubt that will EVER be an issue, but I do wish they'd used all metal. Among dome-end bypass valves, my personal favorite is the Purolator with the stamped spring.

Both the ultra and tough guard are good filters.

Heck, I've even used the OCOD to do a cross country drive, and my engine came out just fine.

Use with confidence.

The Ultras are probably the only Fram filter I will ever use.

I have one currently in my wife's civic. I'll post pics when it hits 5k miles.

But based on the other pics I've seen posted...I'm not too worried.

I've never had a problem with any fram filter. I've never used the ocod though however I've used many tough guards over the years.
I don't get the fram hate. Has anyone actually had one fail on them. Does anyone have any data that they don't filter well.
I dunno,but they sure do sell alot of filters,so maybe a 1/2% failure rate could add up to quite a few bad filters,but I've never seen one.

I have an 07 F150 and have always used MC oil filters. But after doing a lot of reading and research on the FRAM Ultra I will be using one at my next OCI. But, unlike most around here, I will only be using it for (1) OCI!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've never had a problem with any fram filter. I've never used the ocod though however I've used many tough guards over the years.
I don't get the fram hate. Has anyone actually had one fail on them. Does anyone have any data that they don't filter well.
I dunno,but they sure do sell alot of filters,so maybe a 1/2% failure rate could add up to quite a few bad filters,but I've never seen one.

I've seen quite a few pics posted of failed Frams. The problem is you usually don't know a filter has failed unless you cut it open and inspect it.

To be fair, there have been a few pics posted of failed filters from other brands too.

The Fram Ultra is an excellent filter though. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use them. However, I'm sure there are people here that wouldn't use it just because it has the Fram name on it.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
However, I'm sure there are people here that wouldn't use it just because it has the Fram name on it.

Honestly, this is how I have always thought about FRAM oil filters. But, I will use the Ultra.
thumbsup2.gif

As far as the OCOD, I will use it too; as target practice!
grin.gif
39.gif
fram_zpsbbad7bdc.png

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I have an 07 F150 and have always used MC oil filters. But after doing a lot of reading and research on the FRAM Ultra I will be using one at my next OCI. But, unlike most around here, I will only be using it for (1) OCI!
grin.gif

Do you plan on running some EP and going for 15k on that OCI? Otherwise, just use a PureOne. It is more affordable. I don't understand people that complain about low Sulfur gas costing a little more but are content to overspend elsewhere. Personally, I tend to overspend to a small extent relatively consistently.

It appears to be a fine filter. The grip coating keeps a cup type filter wrench from fitting it, it that matters to you (it does to me).

I see no reason to change from a Motorcraft on a Ford though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
grin.gif

Do you plan on running some EP and going for 15k on that OCI? Otherwise, just use a PureOne. It is more affordable. I don't understand people that complain about low Sulfur gas costing a little more but are content to overspend elsewhere. Personally, I tend to overspend to a small extent relatively consistently.

If a FRAM Ultra will help me to go longer between OCI's how is that spending extra? Paying more for higher priced Low Sulphur gas is going to cost me more in the long run as would a FU.

grin.gif

I think most folks are OK with spending a "little more" on luw sulfur gas so long as the increased price for it is directly related to the cost of production, and not somebody taking advantage of what the government now requires.

[

You have a valid point but It's not overspending if it's being done for a particular reason. The Ultra is a mfr-rated 15K filter. The P1... well we don't know what the factory rating is but it's certainly safe to whatever factory FCIs are out there or 7.5K or even 10K (have done this). The Ultra has more capacity than the P1 and that's the benefit and a syn media is safer long term than a cellulose or bended. I will never badmouth the P1 because like everyone thinks, it's a GREAT, high efficiency filter for the dollar. At the price of an "average efficiency" fitler, I say WHY NOT? It's just not suitable for every situation, especially long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back