Do you guys trust Fram Ultra oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got one on my car right now. Smooth as silk startups and steady oil pressure. Fram is always my filter of choice.

Cutting it apart after oil change.
Silly of course if you want to drive your car longer with an old oil filter with contaminants from the last oil change because the car manufactor allows you to do so you go ahead. Has anyone tested the oil both ways and compared the evidence that you don't need to change your filter. I will change it each time because its the least expensive option to keep the engine oil from having issues. Again P-1 warranty is 3000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Markzip
Again P-1 warranty is 3000 miles.

Wrong ... read it right from Purolator. It's based on the car manufacture's recommended service interval, with is usually way more than 3,000 miles these days.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PuroLimitedWarranty.pdf

"This limited warranty is effective for the number of miles and driving severity published in the owner's vehicle manual as the recommended service interval for filter replacements."

Like I said, the guys answering the phone there don't even know Purolator's written warranty.
crazy.gif

Good idea bu kinda messy?

Not anywhere close to the messiest job I've done on a car. Not bad at all, really.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: Clevy
I don't get the fram hate. Has anyone actually had one fail on them.
It's not that a FRAM will fail and grenade your engine. The hate comes mostly from the fact that it's a mediocre filter sold for a premium price. There are better filters for less money.

Another factor is that FRAM is the only company who thought putting PTFE in an oil filter was a good idea. When that fell on its face, they thought putting a capsule of some mysterious glop in the filter and calling it "High Mileage" was another good idea. Wrong on both counts. It made them seem kind of "scam-y", like Slick 50.

Very well said. And yes, I know that Fram has VASTLY increased their QA/QC in recent years- I applaud that and the introduction of the Ultra which is really a top notch filter. But the stigma of the basic orange can's small media area and tendency to collapse or tear (at least in the past... fixed maybe?) has really harmed my perception of the company as a whole. I know there's a place in the market for a low-end minimal necessary function filter, but marketing would be better served by separating that line from the Fram name a little further!

in the case of the orange can it also doesn't help that there are better filters for less money... and much better filters for only a little more... a puraltor classic is a couple bucks less than the orange can and a wix is only a couple bucks more

heck even as good as the ultra might be a wix or P1 is still cheaper and don't carry the stigma of the fram name

Originally Posted By: AmishFury
e

heck even as good as the ultra might be a wix or P1 is still cheaper and don't carry the stigma of the fram name

I get what you're saying, but the Ultra is functionally comparable to the Purolator Synthetic. The P1 is as stringent at filtration, but its NOT as suitable (or really suitable at all) for extended oil change intervals as either the Puro Synth or the Ultra. IMO Fram has nothing in its line comparable to the P1, which is a top quality, stringent filtration non-extended interval filter.

e

I get what you're saying, but the Ultra is functionally comparable to the Purolator Synthetic. The P1 is as stringent at filtration, but its NOT as suitable (or really suitable at all) for extended oil change intervals as either the Puro Synth or the Ultra. IMO Fram has nothing in its line comparable to the P1, which is a top quality, stringent filtration non-extended interval filter.

This should be interesting.
35.gif

e

I consider the Ultra superior to the Puro syn offering, and IMO the Tough Guard matches up well against the Pure One, I actually prefer the TG of the two but again to each his own. For me I've had start up noise with P1 but not so with TG. Nice to have so many choices though.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
e

This should be interesting.
35.gif

I really didn't mean that as a slam on either company. I think Fram's Toughguard probably competes pretty directly with the Puro Classic. Its just a case of the filter lines not matching up one-for-one. The P1 is a little unique in the marketplace in that its not targeted for really long OCIs, but it IS targeted for high filtration efficiency. Purolator doesn't have anything that competes with the orange can of death for the low-end minimally functional filter market segment, either (OK, that WAS a little bit of a slam...) ;-)

KCJeep- what draws you to the Ultra over the Puro Synth? The two-layer media?

KCJeep- what draws you to the Ultra over the Puro Synth? The two-layer media?

The Ultra looks to be better built to me, has a higher effieciency, and costs less at everyday pricing. JMO.

Just bought one for its construction and synthetic media. Running a PSL now as it states its capable of 10K for a 7500 OCI (still under warranty.) The Ultra does seem heavier and I'll give it a test next as it is easier to find. I had to order the P synthetic as my AAP does not stock them yet.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Perhaps the Purolator site needs it in bold, red and maybe even highlighted.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
P-1 is rated for 3000 miles from Purolator's tech dept.

The Purolator Tech Dept doesn't even know what their own website says, which is:

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

If you replace a P1 that often Purolator is going to make some major $$$! I sure am glad I don't use P1's; that would put me in the poor house!
grin.gif

OMG, we just have an entire thread about this 3000 miles issue on Purolator. Tech hotline knows nothing. LOL, it's back.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...878#Post2936878

I guess that's why Fram Extra Guard win because it's marketed for 5K. I should make an oil filter that is rated for a billion miles or specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. Which ever comes first. (See the catch)

Back on topic, the Ultra looks like a good filter. The only problem is that I look goofy trying to check the oil filter (for dents, etc.) before buying it at the store. They seal it with that thick tape and I understand it's to prevent idiot from switch filters in store. I see a few Fram inside the clear Bosch D+ box. (BTW, D+ is "rated for 3,000 miles or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer" said Bosch)

I'm new here and new to automotive oil filter enthusiasm, but I get it.

I've used Fram oil filters, Extra Guard, for 26 years. I guess I didn't know better.

I have never had a problem.

Based on the advertised specs and perfromance I switched to the Ultra with my wife's Routan and my new(er) Cadillac.

If judging the Ultra by the dissection video criteria, ie, construction quality then the Ultra beats most hands down.

When you start looking at the performance specs it meets or beats other more costly "high end" oil filters.

There is also the price issue. I can purchase an Ultra for $9 at Walmart. As mentioned in a previous post, the everyday cost of the Ultra is well below the everyday cost of most comparable higher end oil filters, if there is a comparable filter. Some compare when it comes to say media build/quality but not mileage etc.

So yes, I absolutely trust it.

Originally Posted By: oneraggedhole
I'm new here and new to automotive oil filter enthusiasm, but I get it.

oneraggedhole thanks for coming by and WELCOME to BITOG!

Thanks for your comments and the detailed info on your experience with Fram filters. Keep us posted if you find out anything interesting.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oneraggedhole

There is also the price issue. I can purchase an Ultra for $9 at Walmart. As mentioned in a previous post, the everyday cost of the Ultra is well below the everyday cost of most comparable higher end oil filters, if there is a comparable filter. Some compare when it comes to say media build/quality but not mileage etc.

So yes, I absolutely trust it.

I found them on Amazon for $7 each including shipping if you want to buy 4 or more. I did and plan on using them for the Altima and Honda which conveniently use the same filter.

If Fram redesigns the crummy plastic spring bypass and crummy super thin silicone ADBV than maybe I'll consider the ultra. Until then Im sticking with P1! Never any issues with them and no start up rattle with P1.

Originally Posted By: sasha
If Fram redesigns the crummy plastic spring bypass and crummy super thin silicone ADBV than maybe I'll consider the ultra. Until then Im sticking with P1! Never any issues with them and no start up rattle with P1.

While reading about the FU I too was kind of skeptical about the plastic part of the bypass. But, I'm sure FRAM has performed plenty of tests to prove it can hold up. About the ADBV, I can't comment on its thickness, only that I'm glad to see it is silicone.
I have read where most critics out there don't like the fact that if the filter goes into bypass that the oil flows over the element which in turn puts dirt and debris from it into the engine.
I'm still new to the characteristics on how an oil filter works and how and why it goes into bypass, but I do know the basics. I'm sure someone will chime in and help me out here.
Other than that, and one member here that reported a problem with a FU, I think it's a great filter. FRAM really stepped up and did their homework on this one.
thumbsup2.gif

The Fram bypass has been tested of course. They even made an interesting video on it. I have seen a lot of criticism of the valve here but never a documented valve issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back