Do you feel more safe at a place that has to buzz you in?

a family member has a practice in a not too great of an area. thoughout the years people from off the street would jsut come into the office for no reason. recently we installed a maglock buzz in system so whomever want to come in need to press a doorbell.

at the beggining many patients inquired about why it was installed . they were told its for the safety of patients and staff. So far its been pretty much a success and the patients seem to like it . Some have stated why it was not done before .

So what are your feelings about going to a place that you need to be buzzed in? paranoid? safe?

a family member has a practice in a not too great of an area. thoughout the years people from off the street would jsut come into the office for no reason. recently we installed a maglock buzz in system so whomever want to come in need to press a doorbell.

at the beggining many patients inquired about why it was installed . they were told its for the safety of patients and staff. So far its been pretty much a success and the patients seem to like it . Some have stated why it was not done before .

So what are your feelings about going to a place that you need to be buzzed in? paranoid? safe?

It's not black and white but degrees.

A buzzer system works great against a derelict looking for services or quick loot.

Against a determined criminal or assailant it's just a first step, but way better than nothing.

It doesn't bother me at all when I am visiting such a place. I had a buzzer to open the door when I was an apartment dweller, it did its job.

It's great if someone can let you in.

If you watch enough movies, you realize how easy it is to get around it. Just buzz a different floor, feint being new and have forgotten your key card, admit you’re a dope, play the ”I’m stupid but probably cute” card.

Hey it works in the movies, probably works in real life, right?

I’m indifferent. I’m now used to using a key card swipe to get into work, so having to get buzzed into any other facility is now just second nature. Not sure I feel more safe, less safe, or just nothing in particular about the system.

Almost anything adding security these days makes sense …
Our offices do electronic badges and revolving doors
with sensors that stop tailgaters … All schools should …

Last edited:
I did some business at a small coin dealer that used a buzz in system. It wasn't in a bad or dodgy area at all but they did trade gold and other valuable commodities.

Being a small business, often the owner was the only one there, so the buzzer allowed him to do paperwork etc. in the back room without needing to "mind the store". It also allowed him to be near his "personal protection" whenever someone entered the building.

For a business with a dedicated person at the front desk - makes perfect sense.. However I would question myself going to a business in an area that needed it - or let me rephrase - I wouldn't send a wife or daughter there without me.

For large apartment buildings there sort of worthless, since anyone will let anyone in.

This too. It helps while you are at the office, but what about when you arrive or leave. This crap hasn't hit where I live yet, but it would make me reconsider going there and would look for another place for service.

Last edited:
Lots of grey here IMO. The determining factor of safety is highly dependent upon the person(s) controlling the access. Very location specific as in certain neighborhoods undesirables may congregate in the area of the access point. IME it can be an excellent part of a system but not the only guardrail.

Do I feel "more safe" if I get buzzed into a facility (doctor's office, in this situation)?
Sort of ... Maybe ... It depends ...

Obivously, the fact that it exists indicates that the general area is risky, so while it may be a tad safer inside, it's presumed to be riskier outside, where I'll eventually have to return to car.

Once inside, it may be "safer" or not. If the person who operates the buzzer merely pushes the button everytime someone hits the doorbell, and indiscriminantly lets folks in simply because they "ring the bell", then there's no real improvement in discrimination of who enters. If the employee/attendant is diligent and uses a speaker system to first indentify the bell-ringer, it could help improve security.

Example 1: person rings bell, attendant pushes buzzer and lets someone in. This doesn't really improve security.
Example 2: person rings bell, attendant talks to bell-ringer and asks "May I help you?" or "Do you have an appointment"? Once the bell-ringer answers, the statement is checked against the expected patient roster; admittance is based on a properly accepted response and not just a blindly pushed button. This would improve security.

Adding in visual affirmation would be yet another improvement. Either direct visual confirmation or a video system. If the bell-ringer states they are the Fed-Ex person, and you can see a uniform and package, that help's verify the claim. But if the bell-ringer states they are UPS, and they're standing there in tattered street clothes and pushing a shopping-cart, that's a red-flag and cause for denial of entry.

As for the "security" of a buzzer door, it's a layer of security in the overall "blanket" effect. Nearly any door can be breached with enough time/effort/tools. This is about adding a deterrent; a barrier. It is in no way entry-proof; it's entry resistent. It's yet one more thing that can delay or deter someone from gaining entry effortlessly. Don't think of the buzzer door as a 12" thick bank-vault door, but it certainly is something that will deter or delay some (but not all) undesirable people from coming in. Someone who, in the heat of the moment, decides they want to walk in and use the restroom is gonig to be deterred if the appropriate system is in place. Conversely, someone who's Hades-bent to gain entry and brings tools (sledge hammer to defeat the door jamb or firearm to shoot through the door glass) is very likely to gain entry because the door itself is easily defeated when the right tools and effort are present.

The question is how the business decides to balance the asthetics of the building versus the need for security. Metal doors are better than glass doors, but don't look as professional at a doctor/dentist office. Buzzer systems improve access denial, but are an admission that the surrounding area is risky. (I'll note that anyone who uses that business and lives in the area is already aware of the sketchy area in the first place).

Like everyone else said it’s not yes or no, it’s degrees however most are just security theater and relatively easily bypassed.

(YT link removed; profanity)
Search this "Defcon 19: Steal Everything, Kill Everyone" and you can watch the video

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great if someone can let you in.
This was my initial reaction to the OP. If the person answering the buzz is on the ball, great. If they're slow/deaf/understaffed and I have to stand outside staring at the door, it becomes a negative experience in a hurry.

I never really thought about it. Someday I'm going to catch one between the headlights, or maybe a strange new disease, or whatever. If it inconveniences me too much, I just eschew it. I won't be here forever, no matter what.

The only way to secure something is boots on soil/concrete/linoleum. Everything else is just a "well...step...you know...in the right direction..."

Back when I worked with felons, or rather, felons who had been released, I met a guy named JJ, or rather, that's what we called him. One day he pulled out a legit pimp roll. Musta been 3K on there. Co-worker of mine asked him "JJ, why do you carry that?" "I don't trust the bank." Well why not keep it at home?" My house in the hood. Robbed weekly." Why not in the car, JJ? "Man, they steal that ***** all the time. I'm always lookin' for it."

"Look, I carry it on me. If anyone gets it, I won't even need it anymore, heard?"---JJ

I often think of JJ and his primal logic here. He's not wrong. It's why a lot of stuff really doesn't bother me, anymore. Corrupt government? World agendas? Laws I disagree with? Neighborhood going bad? None of that stuff factors, anymore.

Last edited:
Back