Do you explore new music?

I'm definitely a creature of habit so I like my 90s and 2000s rock, grunge, metal, nu-metal, etc.... I grew up on Alice In Chains and Tool.

I do venture into newer stuff occasionally though. The upcoming album from Gojira is one I've anticipated for quite a while.

I'm definitely a creature of habit so I like my 90s and 2000s rock, grunge, metal, nu-metal, etc.... I grew up on Alice In Chains and Tool.

I do venture into newer stuff occasionally though. The upcoming album from Gojira is one I've anticipated for quite a while.

I love Gojira.

Long time ago I saw Gojira open for Trivium, Machine Head, and Lamb of God at the House of Blues in SC.

Wild night!

Not at all.

I listen to anything from the 40’s to the 80’s as well as some country depending on my mood. Wrenching music is usually either The Who or Elvis on Pandora.

I do listen to a lot of podcasts and radio as well.

Not at all.

I listen to anything from the 40’s to the 80’s as well as some country depending on my mood. Wrenching music is usually either The Who or Elvis on Pandora.

I do listen to a lot of podcasts and radio as well.
The Who is one of those groups who stayed awesome throughout their whole career!! They honestly never put out any bad music. I think their 80s stuff is as good as their 60s stuff. (y)

The last song I posted got pulled, and I understand...
Can this one stand?

There are only a few real rappers left, and I think NF is one of them.

This should be new for most all of you ;-)
Just found it this morning. I was a fan of Mushroomhead nearly 20 years ago...cool to hear something new from them.

I explore new music all the time.

But not everything new is good.

And not all of my exploration is into new (contemporary) music, much of it goes back across decades, or more.

I explore new music all the time.

But not everything new is good.

And not all of my exploration is into new (contemporary) music, much of it goes back across decades, or more.
I'm with you there. Just because it is new to you doesn't mean it is "new" new.

I recently discovered Aesop Rock and he has a 20 year catalog of music to sift through - and so do his peers.

If you want to fall into a rabbit hole of good music, you can.

As mentioned above, the human element has been computerized out of much of today's music. Listened to a song recently and all I could hear was the absurd, endlessly and perfectly repeating computerized drums. I won't mention the song, due to it's, er, ah, "modern" nature.

I'm no drummer, but even I know that can't be done by a human drummer, shouldn't be done as it's too monotonous, and quite simply is missing that human element.

And, YES!! I like some of today's young artists. A lot.

Oh and as mentioned above, many of yesterday's originals were often not all that great. No Quarter comes to mind. Tool's cover is far better than Ted Zeppln's version [sarc]
There are a few drummers out there that can really impress...but I agree 100%!!!!

I will listen to most anything (except country that is depressing) - but I find it so frustrating that with evolving technology, the recording quality continues to degrade. I'll hear a new song on the radio that sounds fine in my truck, but when I buy the CD and listen to it in my theater, it is just garbage. It's like songs are just recorded to be blasted at a dance club, or background music. I would rather listen to a well recorded song that I don't especially like as compared to poorly recorded song that rocks. I guess that is what streaming services and crap headphones are for...at least when I am at the gym
I mean how dare they mix the song to it sounds good the way most people will actually listen to it.
Do you think the beatles Mixed their music so it would sound good coming from the single speaker AM radio most cars/ Houses at the time?

they did. had a low power short range transmitter installed at Abbey Road Studios, and kept a Beetle out back to listen to the mixes to make sure they got it right.
also why you see new remasters of old albums(from any number of artists) appear every few years. adjusting the mixes to how "Most People" are now consuming their Music.

I need to find some 'new to me' music, but it seems without exception, the music which floats my boat, has not been made recently. Starting deep south on the African Continent, Hugh Maseleka's trumpet broke down the Jazz door for me in my mid 20's, some 30 years ago, and its likely Paul Simons's 'Graceland' set the stage, 10+ years before that.

Zambia in the 1970's, produced a lot of gold, like WITCH, Chrisy Zebby Tembo, Amanaz, Blackfoot, The Peace, Salty Dog. Very raw recordings, both detract and add to the sound.

Check out 'lazy bones' from Witch, 'Green Apple' from Amanaz, 'Feeling good' from CZT, 'Poor Connection' from Blackfoot, 'Mama' from Salty dog, and 'Give me Mercy' from The Peace, all available on you tube.

I just about blew a gasket a decade ago when I first heard CZT's 'My ancestors' album, which started my quest for previously unknown (to me) African music.
I saw a vehicle filled with young skaters , absolutely rocking out to it recently, and could only smile.

When I was in Durban in 1999, staying at a backpackers hostel, I busted out a well worn Cassette of Thomas Mapfumo, from Zimbabwe, played 'Moyo Wangu', and the Maid went absolutely nuts dancing singing and cleaning at the same time. There was a double tapedeck, so I bought a blank tape and made her a copy, and she started crying. She came back the next week insisting I visit her village, which turned into one of my best travel memories that never fails to bring me a smile.

Ghanaian Hi life music...so good if you like horns. Check out De frank and his Professionals, Chief Steven Osita Osadebe, Ebo Taylor's 'Atwer Abroba' is simply gold.

If Fela Kuti's 'Power Show' or 'Mister Follow Follow' initial 5 minutes cant get your foot tapping, you are simply dead inside.

Moving NW along Africa's Atlantic coast, SE Rogie makes some excellent palm wine music, and farther North, if you like a Latin Beat, Senegal's, Star Band de Dakar made some absolute Gems in concert with Cubans, that have had people come up to my vehicle when parked overlooking the Pacific, and ask me to turn it up, way up. I think they were trippin' on E, as rarely have I ever seen a group feel the music more, and they weren't even Latino.

Going inland to the Sahara, if you dig some bluesy guitar riffs and the whole world music vibe, check out Tinariwen and Tamikrest.

I try and keep an open mind to newly made music, but so little of it does anything but make me want to skip it/ change the channel/ walk away.

For the most part, regarding the country Genre, I felt the same, but some Original Hank Williams turned my Ear 20 years ago. Blaze Foley, towes van Zandt, and the recently deceased John Prine, all float my boat, but might be considered folk instead of country.

Some of the most 'recently added' music to my Phone, is surprisingly from the 2020 country music awards, at the beginning of the Pandemic. Every other time this came on I tried, but quickly changed the channel, but this time all the artists were Solo, performing live from their man caves via the internet.

Keith Urban's solo acoustic performance of 'wasted time', was the first time I ever heard the song, that I know of, and really liked it. I listened to the studio version, and could not tolerate it, still cant, but that unplugged solo acoustic version still does it for me.

When Luke Combs, a currently performing artist I had never heard of at that point, played 'Crazy Beautiful' shortly after, I had not been watching, only listening, and was like Holy Sxxxx!, that man's got quite the powerful voice. Again, the solo unplugged version remains my favorite though the studio version does not irritate me like Keith's do.

I need to find some more 'new to me' music, but it seems with few exceptions, that what enters my rotation at volume, will have been recorded long ago, and I just was never exposed to it, or not exposed to it when I was receptive to that style of music.

While I say I am open to all types of music, there is a lot of stuff popular now, which I do not even consider music, but those younger than me seem to find something in it that is worthy.

But perhaps they encompass everything wrong with today's youth and why everything can be considered another step towards Hades in a handbasket.
Crotchety old( 50) grouch, out.

I mean how dare they mix the song to it sounds good the way most people will actually listen to it.
Do you think the beatles Mixed their music so it would sound good coming from the single speaker AM radio most cars/ Houses at the time?

they did. had a low power short range transmitter installed at Abbey Road Studios, and kept a Beetle out back to listen to the mixes to make sure they got it right.
also why you see new remasters of old albums(from any number of artists) appear every few years. adjusting the mixes to how "Most People" are now consuming their Music.
Huh?

I'm not sure I follow your comments.

Yes, I realize people today are listening to music using different "hardware" then what some folks who really like to listen to music are using. I realize that today's recordings are all maxed out so they are the loudest when played over your "super awesome Bose Bluetooth speaker thing". That doesn't mean I have to like it, or consume it. I love new metal and rap, but when I want to listen to music on my theater, I have to resort to old recordings, or odd artists that still care about quality. The new stuff is just maxed out, and sounds like crap on a decent system. Great for your car, or Bluetooth speaker, but just sounds like trash on a HiFi.

I love the look on people's faces when I play a well recorded song in my listening room...people have no idea the detail and space that can be demonstrated with well recorded music.

You enjoy that Bose Bluetooth stuff....consume away!

^^Me,I absolutely hate the way reissued music sounds compared to the vinyl originals, especially cds.

In my mind, music is tied to a memory, or a certain period in my life. If I listen to a certain song, I can almost feel and relive that memory. The auto-tuned music that's playing on the radio or on TV? I don't enjoy any of that.

Some of my favorites:

Back