Do you ever 'lose track' of you oil stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it sounds silly, but for those of you with a large oil stash that is stored away, do you ever lose track of what is in it?

IE, you change oil every 4-6 months, (or whenever) and when you go to get oil, you're struck by "Hey, I forgot I had that oil in there" a lot? Also, when you go to get oil, do you have an idea of what oil you are going to use, or do you just decide as you're looking at your collection? I'd love to hear how people with a stash 'decide' what they are going to run.

I've never had a big enough stash to forget what was in it, or have much choice. It was right there in the front hall closet, so everytime I opened it, I could see it. And it was YB or QS 5W-30, your choice! LOL

Nope. Of course, I do oil changes probably 8 of the 12 months every year. Two of our cars get a change very 4 months, so that's 6 changes. The minivan has a 6mo OCI so that's another 2 changes/year. So in any quarter, I do 2 or 3 oil changes.

My stash is close to what yours is now. A few remnants of Havoline 5W30 from AAP sales years ago. Some YB Pennzoil 5W30 and the rest is 10W30 or 10W40 5 quart jugs of Quaker State I've been stockpiling from Wal*Mart at $10.50/jug.

So maybe 12 quarts in loose quarts and 30 quarts in 5 quart jugs.

Well, I may not remember exactly how many bottles of each grade I have, but I can say but for the three Amsoil and a case of Redline ATF it's all Valvoline about 160 quarts worth.

I forget all the time.. It's like a surprise when I go looking to find out how bad my obsession is...
grin2.gif

Oh yeah, that's why I'm trying to consolidate in one closet. I'll forget about 8 quarts tucked away here, 6 there, etc.

John

I categorize by:

Cheap whatever for beaters
cheap 5w30 for beaters in the winter
Winterable syn for the nice cars
Thick stuff for the bike.

When I buy I mentally pick one of the four categories, and have an estimate of how much is already in stock. I couldn't tell you how much delvac and how much delo I have, but together at least 10 quarts.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Well, I may not remember exactly how many bottles of each grade I have, but I can say but for the three Amsoil and a case of Redline ATF it's all Valvoline about 160 quarts worth.
oops I forgot about the 4 quarts of mid 1990s Quaker State and Mobil oil my father-in-law gave me. They are not in the stash, but out in the garage and I was just thinking they would be perfect for my beater lawn mower.

Nope. All my oils are boxed up or in 5gal jug in a central location. I keep track of the number of cases and it is 12 cases of 6 and 3 5-gal jugs right now.

I've got stuff that's dusty just due to not getting around to using it. I've got Agip/M1 T&SUV/GC/BC ..among others, that I just can't figure out where to use them productively.

Speaking of losing track, note my stash count below. I had 298 in my head, but I started counting and holy craaap it's well over 300!

John

Now that we've learned that conventional oil changes aren't neccessary for 50K miles who cares what's in your stash. It isn't like you'll need to bother with it very often
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back