Do you ever get repair fatigue?

My job is such that I'm away from home regularly, then upon returning home, I work on things. If I'm fortunate, "it" will fail when I'm home. If not, I get an emergency call from the wife... Owning a bunch of old vehicles and what is in essence, an antique airplane (1971) does not help matters.

Any way you slice it, true free time is rare.

Of course, "IF" I had true free time, I'd be working on an aircraft engine project that I have in mind.

Just an "annual inspection". It takes me about 3 weeks, because I'm old and slow. And there are 100 panels to remove.
LrQzSUe.jpg

Last edited:
It does get you down when the item you "fixed" doesn't stay fixed because the part(s) you got were not up to snuff. Not because you chose the cheapest replacement either. I've had this happen with a replacement Moen tap cartridge, or Moog wheel bearings. Maybe because both items were made in China? or maybe because I should just replace instead of repair?

I enjoy the process of fixing things and the feeling of accomplishment when I do so. But nowadays everything seems to turn into a project that I don't have the patience to deal with anymore.

The wife's Ford Flex was driving me bonkers last fall, fixed several things and ever since it has been great. The A/C still doesn't work well but I told my wife to roll down the windows............

Check the high side and low side pressures! Might need a bit of a charge

I used to really enjoy working on my vehicles and other stuff. Past few years everything just seems like a chore. I feel I have more projects than I have time and that doesn't help.

Check the high side and low side pressures! Might need a bit of a charge
Had 2 different shops tell me the pressures all look good. I think the condenser is not getting good airflow...all kinds of gunk up there. Sprayed some cleaner all over it last weekend, she hasnt complained this week, but ive been sick so maybe she just doesnt want to bother me.

I have painted more rooms in more houses than I can remember. I have a primed but not painted master bath that has been that way for a year because for whatever reason it took everything I had to prime it and after only 3 hours I had decided I'm never painting another room in my life. Not sure why but my brain has decided it's not worth it for me to do it - the thought of finishing it, maybe another couple of hours, is agonizing. Call it painting fatigue. I think we can fatigue doing just about anything.

All my stuff was new 10 years ago. The fancy pants Viesmann condensing boiler finally had problems. There are no competent Viesmann repairmen in the area so I had to team up with a local HVAC guy we get things figured out. We found the plastic venturi inside the gas valve assembly deteriorated and got holes in it, requiring a new gas valve, and the computerized fan crapped its pants and then the wiring harness was brittle and a small wire parted making the fan operate too poorly to ignite any combustion. Finally, the front door on the combustion chamber door warped and was leaking combustion gas to be dangerous. It’s finally back together and the only things that weren’t replaced was the heat exchanger chamber and computer. Just venting. Don’t mind the pun.

Last edited:
"...At least I enjoy that..."
AND
there's the key.
Its all bout the attitude (& choice). It's nice to have choice (we got it in every second).
Choose priority, dish off those that would not B interesting to U? Keep what U would not like to pay some1 for? (can say 2 self "I'm saving money". This kinda empowere the self).

Now in the shop? not so much. Breaks'n exhaust i AM tired of. But this is some of the mainstay of maintenence - my bread'n butter 4 income. So I suck it up and joke around w/others during the jobs. Makes the day go better. I say (to self) "I can turn down any wrk I want" (drop a whole cradel for a clutch, I'm ol, bad shoulder, skip that ona bad day...do one one a empty shop, need for longer term project - seeking more $). See? It's abt "choice"? Find them, use a process to decide, Ur in charge, tally ho~

Back