Do you drive with a spare, run flats, or neither?

as a cyclist, there's an unwritten rule about never talking about not getting flat tires...but...I've never gotten a flat that an emergency can of fix-a-flat didn't fix.

I have an inflater, a can of fix-a-flat and a plug kit, just in case. Neither car I have came with a spare tire, and I haven't added one.

Tires should be replaced after 5 years.
While true for tires on your car, the one in the trunk doesn't degrade nearly as fast out of the elements. I don't know what is a more reasonable safe time to replace, but I worked in a tire shop for years, I don't recall once selling a new spare tire.

My F30 BMW 328i had no spare, and the Continental run-flats provided a strangely comfortable ride. I was looking into getting a spare, though, when the car was totaled by a flood.

All my other cars had either a full-size spare or a compact spare. The Buick Regal had a compact; I remember setting it at 60 lbs., and the LaCrosse does too.

If I go on a long trip I keep one of my snow tires in the trunk, which sucks up half the space. More for peace of mind than anything. Haven't had a flat on the road in 20 years.

I got rid of the run flats because I hate the way they ride. I have staggered rims so no spare, besides I don't think a 315 20" would fit in the trunk. Always carry fix a flat

I got rid of the run flats because I hate the way they ride. I have staggered rims so no spare, besides I don't think a 315 20" would fit in the trunk. Always carry fix a flat

Three vehicles and 3 different "flat mitigation methods":

C300 = run flats. Worst tire type ever, they are stupid expensive and last at least 50% less than standard tires. On vehicles that have staggered front and rear (like the C300) the life is even less and the UTQG means nothing. Continental had a 280 tread rating and lasted 13,300 miles so I replaced them with Pirelli's that had a 500 rating that lasted 9,200 miles. When the lease comes due, it will be "adios muchacho".

JLUR = full size spare. I do a 5 tire rotation every 5K.

Explorer = donut.

That's why they are called, space saver spares. And it wouldn't matter if you run staggered rims, the space saver fits front or rear.

Someone posted something about the life expectancy of a doughnut spare here on BITOG a while back, saying that the outside of them seals them for a long life, but using them removes that outside protection and from then after they age much faster then if it had never been used.

I do not know if that is correct, but if it is, then it is something to keep in mind, if you have used one and put it back in the vehicle for future use.

My 2016 CR-V EX AWD with a CVT came with a full diameter but narrower spare, that was inflated to 28 PSI and should have been inflated to 60 PSI. I of course put it up to 60 PSI.

I had an X wrench with a 3/4 inch six point socket, left over from my previous vehicle. (3/4 inch is just 2/1000 of an inch bigger than 19 mm, 19mm = 0.748 inches). I bought a 1/2 drive EVERCRAFT torque wrench from NAPA for $34.49 + tax and put my 1/2 drive short extension and 19 mm six point socket on it. All the lug nuts were hard to loosen with the X wrench tire iron. I loosened one with the X wrench and then tightened it with the torque wrench to 80 Lb/ft , and did all of them one at a time. Now they are on with the proper torque, and are much easier to remove if I ever get a flat.

I keep the X wrench and torque wrench in the vehicle wrapped in a old small throw rug. Never loosen a lug-nut with a torque wrench. And always store the torque wrench set to 0 so there is no tension on the spring.

The previous post about the L type of wrench that comes with the vehicle being hare to us if the lugs are over-tightened is 100 percent right on. I never trust an L wrench to use for changing a flat. I always carry a X wrench. Also I cut off the biggest socket of the X wrench and cut the extension that went to that socket into a very big screwdriver head to remove wheel covers. Sometimes they can be very hard to remove even if there is nothing bolted to them holding them on.

I think that with some good tire maintenance (don't clip curbs and keep the tires inflated somewhat high, avoid grave and nails and potholes when you can, key word is when you can) you shouldn't be getting flats in the first place. Sometimes they just happen, sure.. but as someone that drives almost 2000 miles a week now, I've done my due diligence and can generally foresee any potential issues.

Gravel roads etc increase the chances of punctures and one of my tires is patched, I really hope I can change my tires before December 25th.

I drive 100 miles a day in a BMW that originally came with run flats and no spare. I ditched the useless horrible riding run flats for regular tires, and carry a tire plug kit as well as a temporary spare tire and jack/lug wrench from a 5-series in the trunk. I've already had to use the spare once.

I think that with some good tire maintenance (don't clip curbs and keep the tires inflated somewhat high, avoid grave and nails and potholes when you can, key word is when you can) you shouldn't be getting flats in the first place. Sometimes they just happen, sure.. but as someone that drives almost 2000 miles a week now, I've done my due diligence and can generally foresee any potential issues.

Gravel roads etc increase the chances of punctures and one of my tires is patched, I really hope I can change my tires before December 25th.

I'm an extremely careful driver, drive 100 miles a day in various conditions, and the one flat I got recently (I've never had a flat before) was out of my control. A chunk of metal in my tire, when there was zero construction around, and it happened in a residential area. The metal was about the size of a nail. I would agree with you if there were no other variables or other drivers on the road. It's impossible to see that truck loaded with loose nails and metal driving down the same road 2 hours before you do.

I'm an extremely careful driver, drive 100 miles a day in various conditions, and the one flat I got recently (I've never had a flat before) was out of my control. A chunk of metal in my tire, when there was zero construction around, and it happened in a residential area. The metal was about the size of a nail. I would agree with you if there were no other variables or other drivers on the road. It's impossible to see that truck loaded with loose nails and metal driving down the same road 2 hours before you do.

I was driving West about 3 days ago (I drive everywhere. I love the highways. Cincinnati/Covington KY on down, the Continental US is my oyster. Anyways) My beautiful, sure-footed, non-Turbo :confused: borderline showcar (means DD car, some slight imperfections) - got smacked in the front by a flying re-tread two cars in front of me. Thankfully it just marred the license plate a little bit and all was okay, but it was a clear blue sky day. The kind of day to not speed, because conditions are perfect for the Staties to give out tickets etc. And I drive almost as much as you, some days more if I am road tripping to New England (which is every weekend lately.)

I agree that things can happen.

Back