Do you consider going WOT Abusive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im asking because I love my truck and want to keep it for a long time its just hard to keep my foot off the throttle sometimes. Whats everyone's opionion on this ?
popcorn.gif

Every day all the time? Yes. Once in a while, along with a run to redline? Of course not. Running the engine hard through the gears gives you an indication of its general health and state of tune. If you can pull cleanly to redline at WOT through the first few ratios, things are probably copacetic. Also, it's fun.

I don't think it's abusive at all, in fact I think it helps keep the carbon buildup to a minimum. I make a point of trying to go full throttle at least once every day from a 30-80mph roll. Besides, it's fun!
wink.gif

I don't know about abusive, but constant WOT should shorten the lifespan of the engine and drivetrain a measurable amount. What that amount is, I have no idea.

IMO, it would be most healthy for the engine to run in the midrange most of the time.

Patman,

It depends on the vehicle I guess. WOT in a Geo metro isn't fun - it's more a fact of life if you want to make it across the intersection.

Palut,
It depends upon the gear you are using. WOT in fifth at under 2500 is abuse. In second, it's fun. Hondas, of which we have had six, are born to rev. A Honda isn't even making any power at 2500. Our '99 Accord, for example, doesn't even wake up below 4000.

WOT is more abusive to my tranny than my engine. I'd wager that's the case for most everyone here with an auto tranny, unless it's an Allison.

Quote:

Patman,

It depends on the vehicle I guess. WOT in a Geo metro isn't fun - it's more a fact of life if you want to make it across the intersection.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My first personal (not shared with parents) car was Ford Tracer, basically a Mazda 3 drivetrain. I ran that thing WOT multiple times a day, and from time to time 500-1000 past the redline. I burned thru endless tires, brakes, 3 set of struts and gave it to charity with 185,000 miles on it 10 years later.

Your truck will do fine as long as you keep up on PM. Enjoy it, that's why you bought it. Early deaths are usually due to overheating, like a coolant and/or oil leak.

I tend not to do it with my roller-skate Hyundai. Face it, 105 HP at 5800 RPM is high-noise, low-result. You tend not to put yourself in a position to need to redline it, which is pointless in any case. Plus, redline in a motor such as this stretches the timing belt, and FEELS like abuse, even if it's "meant" to be spun to a frantic level. With this motor, a conventional internal cumbustion MPG champ, all the torque is in the low-to-mid RPM range, not at WOT/Reline.

Maybe if there were positive results, it wouldn't be abuse, but in this mill? It's abuse, trust me, and this one rarely sees 4000RPM, let alone 6800. Besides, I'd rather save the space for tickets (if I ever get any) for giggle-time on my motorcycle.
crazy.gif

When I lived in Europe, a lot of people tended to drive flat out for extended periods (including me). The general consensus was that cruising at 1500 rpm below the redline was acceptable. Cruising at the torque peak of the engine is certainly just fine.

As another data point, Mercruiser recommends 5 minutes only at WOT. Most boats are set up to run flat out at the motor's redline. The manual says otherwise valve float will occur. Most Mercruiser marine engines are based on GM Vortec GenII/III long blocks.

WOT is needed to keep the engine free from carbon, actually I was reading in old issue of Car and Driver that Al Unser Sr. would recommend breaking in a new engine at WOT, but gradual WOT and not flogging, this way the rings would settle much better and also the pistons.

Done many WOT with my Accord V6 and its still running fine.

Quote:

Palut,
It depends upon the gear you are using. WOT in fifth at under 2500 is abuse. In second, it's fun. Hondas, of which we have had six, are born to rev. A Honda isn't even making any power at 2500. Our '99 Accord, for example, doesn't even wake up below 4000.

I'm extremely sensitive to my car. WOT in any gear under 2500 rpm in my little 2.2L will feel like lugging. Above 2500 the lugging feeling goes away. When I'm stuck in traffic I can eke along first as low as ~900 rpm, 2nd and 3rd as low as 1200 or so, I just have to be very gentle with the throttle.

I do prefer to use the whole rev range to get power. Downshifting is fun!

Funny you mention about the gearing, Palut.

I don't know if it's a consequence (favorable, if so) of the 10:1 compression ratio, or of the gear ratios they set up, but mine pulls away very cleanly and smoothly from 1000rpm in any gear, 1-5. Very smooth idle, and a good clean pull up to 4000 rpm/80 MPH. Above that, it becomes buzzy. It will rev to 6800, and I guess do over 100mph, but that isn't what this thing was put on this earth to do. But they engineered this thing perfectly for legal speeds, plus a little extra.

Do you consider going WOT Abusive?

In my younger years, NO.

After working as a heavy diesel mechanic for many years my answer now would be, YES if done in excess.

After more inframe engine overhauls, trans, power divider, rear axle, transfer case rebuilds than I can even remember I can say with no doubt that yes, excessive WOT is deadly to any drivetrain. WOT places all your engine/drivetrain components under the highest stress levels they will ever encounter. It increases preasure and load on gears, engine components and anything else that moves. It increases operating temperatures that also stress components and raises the lubrication fluids temp's which shortens their life. In large diesel engines it is also the most likely time that cylinder liner cavitation will occur.

"WOT is needed to keep the engine free from carbon", since when? If a engine is running properly carbon or soot build up in a engine should not be a problem. Yes putting around town like grandma can cause deposits but a good steady cruise down the highway from time to time at reasonable speeds and throtle can take care of that. If you have excessive deposits you have something else causing the problem, not lack of lead foot application.

If WOT was good for a engines life span you would think race and high performance engines would last for hundreds of thousands if not millions of miles. They have had more blueprinting and balancing done to them than most people can even imagine yet they only last a very short time. Why? Because they are used at WOT.

So am I saying you should never go WOT, heck no, enjoy your vehicle and what it can do. Just remember that anything done in excess has a cost.

Quote:

Palut,

I have read using a manual & WOT to lug the engine below 2000RPM improves MPG and does not harm the engine. I think it was in Road & Track.

Car and Driver recommended using 1-3-6 shift pattern to save fule as well.
dunno.gif

It IS abusive to anyone downwind of your car who has to breathe the stink, or anyone trying to get some sleep in the local area. But I don't think it does any damage to anything except mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back