Do you bank with an "online" bank only? How do you like it?

That’s pretty far away Jim LOL. I have lots of friends from there for some reason many of them live down here.
Closer than Florida for me.
When I was young like you we used to rent a Lincoln and take Canada by storm every year.
Very fun times. Picked up these three chicks at the Royal Bank in Hamilton where we were doing the coin and exchange scam........
Sorry- forgot where I was .....

Closer than Florida for me.
When I was young like you we used to rent a Lincoln and take Canada by storm every year.
Very fun times. Picked up these three chicks at the Royal Bank in Hamilton where we were doing the coin and exchange scam........
Sorry- forgot where I was .....
LOL. Good one Jim.

I've been using Ally bank for almost a decade. The only limitation I've run into with online banking is that you cannot deposit cash.
When I've run into that situation I find stuff that I'd normally write checks for and substitute the cash in person.

Real estate taxes, car registrations, etc. I normally use a rewards card for most of my shopping, but not the government.

When I've run into that situation I find stuff that I'd normally write checks for and substitute the cash in person.

Real estate taxes, car registrations, etc. I normally use a rewards card for most of my shopping, but not the government.

For me it's a rare occurrence and a minor inconvenience. I just use that cash as an ATM until it runs out. I could see it being more of an issue for someone who receives cash regularly such as a business owner, or someone who does freelance work.

Timely subject!

We are buying another house. Earnest money in these times they just want a "picture" of the check. Have to use their app to take and send picture.

Not sure how many of those type of apps are out there, but the one with Chicago Title is an absolute piece of trash. It's not really an app, it runs in your phone's browser. We finger fikied with it on my phone and two people supporting for a couple hours then on wife's phone with no luck. From around 5pm to 8pm last night. Problem is reverse side of check just will not focus in app. An absolute waste of time.

Not against such things, seems like some check scan apps work really well for depositing checks.

This am, in under 2 minutes I wired $10K earnest money to US Bank Chicago Title escrow from Fidelity. Good lord some people find that difficult??

LOL. Good one Jim.
Proof- early 80's Canadian coin scam- was in Hamilton here :) Two years older than you!
linc9990.jpg

I am using one of the ones on that list. It's kind of a forgotten savings account for the most part. I can transfer funds to my main bank account if I need it. Otherwise I just let it pull some savings.

I am using one of the ones on that list. It's kind of a forgotten savings account for the most part. I can transfer funds to my main bank account if I need it. Otherwise I just let it pull some savings.
usaa bank is essentially online, not as user friendly as it was years ago, but i’m too lazy to switch.

Before you go all in online find out how long it takes to complete a withdrawal. From online balance to cash in hand could take a while.
I've been using Ally bank for almost a decade. The only limitation I've run into with online banking is that you cannot deposit cash.
Yes, both true ^^^ depending on how much money you need to withdraw, with 40,000 ATMs available with Alliant, you can get a pretty good amount of money by driving down your street and using ATMs.

1. If you need huge amounts of cash, you can do one of two things. Have the bank, in this case, Credit union, send you a bank check for any amount of money from your account. Its a free service.
If you are buying something many people will accept a bank check, if not, see below;

2. Keep a local bank free checking account (which is a smart idea no matter what) and simply do an electronic transfer from your online bank to your local bank or write a check form your online bank and deposit it in your local bank and you have that huge amount of cash.
If this is a regular thing for you, then just keep cash in your local bank and the rest in your online account but for a once in a while thing? Easy stuff. Much of the world is moving away from cash but its easy to manage a free local bank and and online bank which is what I do and just about anyone I know.

I can assure you that the "bricks & sticks" banks are going away...quickly. Between the virus and businesses realizing that they don't need a physical location, etc., the banking model is changing. Besides, when you have to pay the overhead of commercial leases, on-site staff, etc., the physical banks can't compete with rates. I know...I used to work in banking for several years!

I challenge you to compare rates of return to your bank -vs any of the online banks, i.e., Discover, Chime, etc., etc.

Ed
Not entirely. Business/Commercial customers still require person-to-person contact.

Not entirely. Business/Commercial customers still require person-to-person contact.
Sometimes...but that "need" is being phased out.

A business customer can submit, for example, a real estate loan package without needing to meet face-to-face. If the package is prepared correctly, not only do they not need to meet in person but the customer shouldn't even need tor receive a single phone call to process the loan!...I've seen loan packages submitted that were that complete!

Ed

Sometimes...but that "need" is being phased out.

A business customer can submit, for example, a real estate loan package without needing to meet face-to-face. If the package is prepared correctly, not only do they not need to meet in person but the customer shouldn't even need tor receive a single phone call to process the loan!...I've seen loan packages submitted that were that complete!

Ed
Oh for sure but banks still have "know your customer" rules and businesses which handle a lot of cash still need a place to deposit. Branch networks are contracting but they won't disappear. Business/Commercial banks still need to grow their customer base and that involves a lot of face time.

My bank is 2100 miles from me. I been with my employer’s credit union for 28 years. Back in the day it was difficult to deposit a check, but with online everything, it’s simple. I rarely withdraw cash from ATM’s but if I have to I have many choices, mostly at shared ATM networks at convenience stores. I also have 3 free withdrawals from any ATM per month. The only problem that comes up is if I want to buy something with cash like on craigslist, I can’t just go to the local bank and withdraw $3,000.

I rarely step into a Wells Fargo bank, everything I do is online.

Likewise, my Navy FCU account, even though there are locations at the next town over from AND near both of my office locations.

If only CapitalOne credit cards, would allow me to transfer my cash back rewards direct to my CapitalOne online savings account

Couple cons for online banking.

What happens if you sell a car and the buyer gives you cash?

What happens if you need a same day Cashiers Check for purchase of a new car or house?

Selling something and want to throw a few hundred or thousand bucks in your checking account?

Not to mention free notary services, etc. I walk into a branch about twice a year, and those are the times I need to.

Other than that I never go into a branch.

Couple cons for online banking.

What happens if you sell a car and the buyer gives you cash?

What happens if you need a same day Cashiers Check for purchase of a new car or house?

Selling something and want to throw a few hundred or thousand bucks in your checking account?

Not to mention free notary services, etc. I walk into a branch about twice a year, and those are the times I need to.

Other than that I never go into a branch.
Your correct in the sense online only banking can be a con in those rare instances but that is very easy to overcome by maintaining a free checking account at a local bank.
You can then easily transfer money between the two and is what most anyone with remote online banking uses.

NFCU for me and I do everything online. Have no need to visit a branch.

Back