Do you always wear gloves when changing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, rarely. Seems I get in a hurry and forget. Or maybe I like the feel, smell and mess of hot oil on my skin.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
I usually wear one glove, sorta like Micheal Jackson. I put it on the hand I use to removed the drain plug.

+1

Not a fan of having used oil on my hands...who really knows the long term impacts of that. Granted Im not changing oil that much but still. Remove glove and toss.

I always have a box on the shelf in the garage.
I don't always remember to use them.

The Fumoto Drain Valve makes oil changes virtually mess free.
The oil filter removal is the only real mess I have anymore.

Now this new 2019 Ford Edge with the 2.7L EB has a ridiculously Stupid Huge plastic drain plug to remove.
This will be another challenge and a possible need for the gloves.

Originally Posted by -SyN-
I always have a box on the shelf in the garage.
I don't always remember to use them.

The Fumoto Drain Valve makes oil changes virtually mess free.
The oil filter removal is the only real mess I have anymore.

Now this new 2019 Ford Edge with the 2.7L EB has a ridiculously Stupid Huge plastic drain plug to remove.
This will be another challenge and a possible need for the gloves.

Excellent. Your vehicle is a quarter ounce lighter and you'll be saving gas.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Haven't worn them once...thought I bought some el cheapo nitrile gloves at Ocean State Job Lot but either misplaced them or never even bought them.

Yes. When you get hot oil on your hands, it doesn't hurt as much with a pair of gloves on.

Mercedes does this stupid design where the oil comes out the side and splashes against something so you don't get a clear stream coming out and oil get everywhere. After it goes down a little bit, then it's a decent stream. In the past other cars would just have oil shooting out the rear so if you're quick, you can just maintain pressure on the plug and once it's all the way out, if you move quick enough you don't get any oil on you.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Never. That's why they make hand cleaner.

+1^^

I wear gloves, that being said....I also snip the tips of the glove for my dominant hands Thumbs and Index fingers giving me some " feel" for what I'm doing.

Last edited:
I was never a glove user but since I tried the 9 mil black nitrile gloves from HF I am now. I only tried them because my iphone touch sensor didn't work right for days after a good hand cleaners and scrubbing or getting dried out from paint reducers and thinners.
These are the best gloves I tried, better than any of the common blue ones and durable enough to get a lot of work done and cheap enough.

Yes, always.
Cleanup is much easier with them.

Draining oil from the pan is mess free with the Fumoto, but both my filters drain oil on them when removing.

My new Santa Fe, I may not after the first change. Put on a Fumoto and have a top mounted cartridge filter, a pretty clean change.

Doing other auto repair, I usually do, but sometimes they get torn or I just need better feel.
Cleanup after a brake job is so easy with gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back