Do you always, usually, or rarely torque bolts to spec?

I have wrenched on lots of vehicles for different things and the only real torque to specs I have done is for wheel axle nuts.

Most other things I snug down tight with a hand rachet or wrench and call it good.

How about you?

Reviewing the spec and recognizing how closely you can achieve the spec using impact or hand tools, is a factor in deciding whether to use a torque wrench...at least for non-critical fasteners.

For those that say "always when a spec is listed", I can nearly promise you there is a spec on 99+% of the fasteners you encounter in a vehicle.

That simple 10mm holding on the trim piece...yup, there is a spec followed and suggested, that 8mm holding in the radio, yup...a spec for that too.

If it is non-critical, I rarely use a torque wrench, looking up the specs and torquing each fastener would be waaaaay too long. I will use it anytime it is a critical connection, or material I am not familiar with, or trying to seal something.

For those that say "always when a spec is listed", I can nearly promise you there is a spec on 99+% of the fasteners you encounter in a vehicle.

That simple 10mm holding on the trim piece...yup, there is a spec followed and suggested, that 8mm holding in the radio, yup...a spec for that too.

If it is non-critical, I rarely use a torque wrench, looking up the specs and torquing each fastener would be waaaaay too long. I will use it anytime it is a critical connection, or material I am not familiar with, or trying to seal something.
Wether or not the torque is listed in the documentation is often the difference between critical and non-critial.

I use a torque wrench if tbe specification is listed.

i follow the rule of does this bolt hold something that requires a certain amount of pressure to function, then yes ill use a torque wrench. most things this is not true and just being snug is perfectly adequate.

Wether or not the torque is listed in the documentation is often the difference between critical and non-critial.

I use a torque wrench if tbe specification is listed.
So you'll torque....

- The fasteners holding the air filter box lid
- Bolt holding a brake line to a strut bracket
- Ignition Coil Bolts
- Bolts for the brackets holding the top of the radiator to the core support
- Fasteners holding a coolant reservoir bottle to the chassis

Just some examples that I immediately thought of. I don't see any of those to be critical, yet OEM's have torque specs listed for them.

So you'll torque....

- The fasteners holding the air filter box lid
- Bolt holding a brake line to a strut bracket
- Ignition Coil Bolts
- Bolts for the brackets holding the top of the radiator to the core support
- Fasteners holding a coolant reservoir bottle to the chassis

Just some examples that I immediately thought of. I don't see any of those to be critical, yet OEM's have torque specs listed for them.
If they're listed then yes. No reason not to.

Each of your examples (not knowing the specific car) would seem to involve thin metal and/or plastic. Most people (even myself) overtorque items when going "by feel."

Keep in mind that I'm an aviation mechanic. Torque wrenches are a part of my life, they're in my ratchet drawer, and they get calibrated annually.

It's very easy to overtorque something. Good example is spark plugs. NGK listed 14-20ft-lbs for thr plugs I just installed. I'm will to be most people far exceed that "because it feels right."

torque all bolts that hold a gasket down, and lug nuts. everything else i just use more torque for bigger bolts. trim peices, brackets for wiring harness, ect I just snug down to Maybe 5 ft lb. strech bolts i use a torque wrench for the torque and then a breaker bar for the +90°

I have wrenched on lots of vehicles for different things and the only real torque to specs I have done is for wheel axle nuts.

Most other things I snug down tight with a hand rachet or wrench and call it good.

How about you?
The only two things I do not torque to "specs" are drain plugs and pan bolts. I always thought specs were too tight.

Add me to the "If there is a torque specification, I torque" list. That is to say, is there a torque spec listed in the maintenance manual? I don't go digging in the machinists handbook or on the internet, for a torque spec for non-critical fasteners, just so I can say there is a spec.

It depends on whether I can get a feel for it or not. When the spec calls for 89 inch pounds on some spongy gaskets, there's no way I'm going to feel that; I have to use a torque wrench. When the spec calls for 34 foot pounds plus 120 degrees of rotation, I use a torque wrench there too.

Back