Do you abide by manual rec's for warranty purposes, or do you use the oil you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3 for me. I save receipts and do UOA. It would be difficult to argue UOA in court. I know that 5W30 and 5W20 is not the best weight of oil for any internal combustion engine! I drive my cars like rally cars so I need the hydrodynamic film provided by higher vis. oil. I like barrier additives but would rather not have to depend solely on them for protection.

quote:

I know that 5W30 and 5W20 is not the best weight of oil for any internal combustion engine!

I'm not so sure of this John.
grin.gif
I agree with your thinking but engines today might do just as well on lighter visc. oils.

I'm a #2 on my 02 Dodge ram 1500... I fall under sever conditions though sicne the longest round trip it sees 95% of the time is 6 miles and rarely gets warm except here in the hottest part of the summer. I have switched to Amsoil 5w-30 though to try and extend out closer to the 7500 mile change interval reccomended to NORMAL driving. doubt ill get that far. prolly change at 5k.

Well, what can I say? After the factory fill (supposedly a special synthetic), the dealer wanted to use 20W-50 dino during the included maintenance. I didn't want that ****
tongue.gif
in my engine, so I brought them my own synthetic for my car. The oil I brought them did fulfill the manufacturer's specs. So yes, I did (and always would listen) to the manufacturers's requirements, but I would pick the oil. If any carmaker would tell me there was only one brand oil (like is now being suggested by a few carmakers) I could use, I'd just laugh at them.

[ June 22, 2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Hmmm ....

I follow the recommendation ..but use an oil that I feel exceeds the need.

In my 02 Jeep TJ SE I change it every 6k. This is within the manufactures recommendation. I do, however use a synthetic oil (no UOA yet).

On my wife's 4.0 Sahara I followed the recommendations somewhat ...but modified the engine with a high volume pump and larger remote filters. It's out of warranty ..so I'm trying for 10k oil changes (w/UOA)

VWs want us to use a *w-40 oil and
I have used Mobil 1 0w-40 since new on both my late model VWs.

However I completely disregard and disagree with
16,000 KM oil change intervals.

offtopic.gif

Oh nice, the politically correct Forum Police has just edited my post. That's great that anyone has time to do nothing but sift through all posts all day (and night?) long.
lol.gif

Don't mind if I'll point out politically incorrect OPINIONS in the future. Let's check the off-topic forum (from which I stay away for peace's sake) for those, shall we?
wink.gif

Get over it and don't be a cry baby.

If you want unedited crap, go to http://www.labusas.org/

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
offtopic.gif

Oh nice, the politically correct Forum Police has just edited my post. That's great that anyone has time to do nothing but sift through all posts all day (and night?) long.
lol.gif

Don't mind if I'll point out politically incorrect OPINIONS in the future. Let's check the off-topic forum (from which I stay away for peace's sake) for those, shall we?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back