Do wider tires increase that feeling of 'stability?' how does it affect steering? (We're talking 175/65R15 vs. 195/60R15)

I definitely believe load rating has something to do with it and I think it's often overlooked when people shop around.
Yep, next performance tires I get for autocross will atleast match the factory load rating of 87, and not an XL rated tire either as they are built for higher pressures, but I was already doing that with the high speed rated 85 LR tires. I think with a strut car with lots of body roll, low profile tires that need to be run hard make the car skittish. Performance options get pretty sparse though in 15" higher profile tires though.

I definitely believe load rating has something to do with it and I think it's often overlooked when people shop around.

Yes it's correct that load rating is important, but unfortunately the tyres get bigger and heavier when you go up in load rating and when going through very tight corners the answer may not be very wide tyres. In any event, better suited tread compound is most important.

Have a look at tyre load sensitivity and why it's important to stay as far to the left of the diagram as you can.

Back