Do we know if MoS2 additive works in modern oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wag123

Yes, I did read what you presented and I stand by what I said. Nothing that you presented (except from ARCO) was SPECIFIC to the Lubro-Moly/Liqui-Moly MoS2 motor oil additive product causing any engine problems and I didn't see any pictures providing proof positive of ANY engine failure from ANYBODY. The only negative things that I saw referred to problems with MolyKote which is an entirely different product. Nobody has ever shown that the Lubro-Moly/Liqui-Moly MoS2 motor oil additive product (SPECIFICALLY) has caused internal engine corrosion or that it's moly particles aggregated.

Looks like we have some reading comprehension issue.

Quote:
This additive is from Liqui Moly and made for engine oil use.

The guy clearly stated he used Liqui Moly and not molycote.

Quote:
The oilpump and drive looks perfect....but I have this molykote slime in my oilpan and the filter and the bearings.

He said he had slime, molykote grease-like.

From: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7369-oil-additive-filter-blocked/

Now, I do believe the additive works for you and maybe most of the users. I don't believe it's 100% safe to use under all circumstances and this is why it's not universally used, unlike soluble moly. It took me a while to figure out why.

My reading comprehension is perfectly sound. The guy used the names of two different brands of product in the same post, Liqui Moly and MolyKote. Which product was he actually using? So, you choose to believe the ONE guy making this kind of claim (after 35 years or so that this product has been on the market) and the guy isn't even sure WHAT he put in his engine? Maybe he dumped a can of water in it! Water is EXACTLY what will give you the kind of "slime in the bottom of the oil pan" that he is describing. For that matter, it sounds to me like the guy had a blown head gasket or a cracked block. He certainly doesn't know what he is talking about, so I'm also calling "nonsense" on this guy's claim.

Last edited:
^I picked up on the two different products as well, which was it? Was the engine mechanically sound, etc.?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

#4 The modern oils already contain soluble MoDTC that generates MoS2 in situ when friction is encountered.

This is key point about soluble moly. Heat and friction has to occur first, to enable the local MoDTC/DTP-MoS2 reaction. Having MoS2 in suspension is a more proactive approach to wear protection. Now the FM performance of each, and how they differ, is definitely worth discussion! Is filter plugging still a concern with modern fine NMoS2 suspensions?

FJ--thanks for posting the military and moly coated bullet links---very,very helpful.
I think the 2 unopened bottles of LM sitting on the garage shelf will be relegated to OPE use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back