Do trunk lid lift supports commonly fail in cold weather, or are mine old?

I've noticed the last month or so that when I raise the trunk lid on my Highlander, that in the morning, when it is around freezing, that the lid will lower itself back down again. When the weather is not cold, the lid stays up.

Is this a sign of failed lift supports? Or if I replace them, will the new ones act the same?

My dad went through this on his Fairmont station wagon. Cheap as he was, he figured out that he only had to buy one strut, which would then be "just enough" to keep it open.

He did this once a year or so. I don't recall if it was always in the winter. Sometimes he cruised with a broom handle instead.

Look on rockauto for your new struts, prices vary widely.

OK RA has the following brands:
FCS
Tuff Support
Strongarm
AMS Automotive

I have never heard of any of these brands. Any that are better than the others? Price isn't an issue, ranging from $13 to $24

EDIT:
NAPA has its store brand lift support for $60 each.
AZ has Mighty Lift supports for $55 each.

I don't suppose these are worth the extra money?

Last edited:
It was said to have been an issue in filming Back to the Future -- for some scenes, the DeLorean was shown encased in a thin layer of ice, and the cold and weight of the ice would cause the gullwing doors to sag.

New question:
OEM are $65 each. The originals lasted 16 years. I'd like to keep this vehicle at least 10 more years.

Comparing OEM & their cost to the others above---how much more likely are the cheaper units be, to fail before 10 years? I'd rather not pay $20-30 to replace a part every 2 years if I could have avoided it all by paying $65 up front. No brainer there...

Have you tried more than one OEM source? I recently installed OEM lift struts on my wife's Outback. A full set of four struts (two each for the hood and hatch) was just over $100, including shipping.

The original struts lasted almost 10 years, so I suspect these OEM struts will last another 10 years.

that the lid will lower itself back down again. When the weather is not cold, the lid stays up.
One (or both) of the struts has failed and the cold temperature just exacerbates it. Mine are working fine and it's been in the low 20s. They worked last winter when it was 0º F or lower too.

Yes new struts will fix your issue. On my 2000 lexus i got hood struts from ra many years ago. I got sachs lifts In 5/19 and they still feel like the day i installed them.

New question:
OEM are $65 each. The originals lasted 16 years. I'd like to keep this vehicle at least 10 more years.

Comparing OEM & their cost to the others above---how much more likely are the cheaper units be, to fail before 10 years? I'd rather not pay $20-30 to replace a part every 2 years if I could have avoided it all by paying $65 up front. No brainer there...

In that case, get OEM.

I've seen OEM lift supports over $100 each, and at that point it's not worth it over aftermarket, so $65 is definitely fair.

OK I'll call the local dealer and see what their price is later on this week, if they are still open.

My dad went through this on his Fairmont station wagon. Cheap as he was, he figured out that he only had to buy one strut, which would then be "just enough" to keep it open.

He did this once a year or so. I don't recall if it was always in the winter. Sometimes he cruised with a broom handle instead.

Look on rockauto for your new struts, prices vary widely.

Even cheaper, a pair of vice grips clamped down on the piston.

OK RA has the following brands:
FCS
Tuff Support
Strongarm
AMS Automotive

I have never heard of any of these brands. Any that are better than the others? Price isn't an issue, ranging from $13 to $24

EDIT:
NAPA has its store brand lift support for $60 each.
AZ has Mighty Lift supports for $55 each.

I don't suppose these are worth the extra money?
I worked part-time at NAPA for many years (up until 2019), so always used theirs. At that time, I believe they were rebranded Strongarm. They always worked well, so I would order the Strongarms from RA.

It was said to have been an issue in filming Back to the Future -- for some scenes, the DeLorean was shown encased in a thin layer of ice,
They stopped applying ice in the sequels, because it was complicated to do and the ice didn't have anything to do with the story anyway.

Back