Do tires go *bad*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get a pretty good deal on a set of tires I will probably need 2 years from new. Tirerack price is $330 each.

I can get 2 now for $220 each and it's brand new.
With that said, if I store it in a black plastic bag in a non heated garage, will this affect the tire. I am aware that over tire, tires do *bloom* but I think this is more of a UV issue.

Should I grab the tires at the good price ?

Chefwong: I have stored tires for 2 years with no problem. I would armor-all them real good and put them in the black plastic bags. I doubt you will have any problem.

i have stored tyres in similar situations. apply a protectant and plastic bag them.

Or if you are like me and love the sell of new tyres, i keep new tyres under my bed for storage with no bags. i love the smell!

It really should not be a problem. I have run tires up to 10 years old with no problems.

However, it does need to be said that you should look at what the "rot" replacement policy is just to cover all the bases. I read somewhere (obscure) that a few oem's gurantee to 6 years. So if you keep it 2 years and use it the next four years, not a problem.

Sure pick em up. Stay away from the Armorall.
Just store em in a cool dry place on their sidewalls.

Rubber hardens over time and deteriorates with age. Store the tires in a dry and cool environment to retard the aging process. Do not stack them on top of each other.

yep, as the others have said, cool, dry, and dark.

Definately not under fluroescent lights or near electric motors. The fluros have the same effect as sunlight, albeit not quite as severe.

Personally I would skip out on this. Your car could be totalled tomorrow and you likely won't recover all the money for the tires you bought for it trying to save money.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
i have stored tyres in similar situations. apply a protectant and plastic bag them.

Or if you are like me and love the sell of new tyres, i keep new tyres under my bed for storage with no bags. i love the smell!

I store a different type of rubber in my bedroom.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Seriously, Swift,why no armor-all?

The latest research says that tires deteriorate over time REGARDLESS of whether they are used or not.

If you are buying tires for use 2 years from now, you also have to consider how old they are by the time you get your hands on them. Could be a totla of 3 or 4 years old by the time you apply them.

My current recommendation is that tires should be removed from service when they reach 10 years old, and 6 years for the following states - AZ, CA, NM,TX, NV, and FL. Other states would be proportional depending on how far north they are. For example TN would be 8 years,

Hope this helps.

It really depends on the way you store them. Case in point - about 10 years ago, I picked up a set of 195/75-14 Goodyears for a really good price. Was going to use them on an old Chevy I was driving at the time. Problem - the car gave up the ghost before I needed them. Put them in the attic of my Dad's barn. (This is in Florida). They stayed up there a cooked for a decade. When I needed a set of 14's recently, I remembered those tires up in the attic. Took them down and they were as hard as rocks. When ahead and put one on my van. Blew out in less than a mile.
Conversely, when I was in college, (20 years ago), I picked up a set of mudders for my truck. Put them downstairs in Dad's barn, in a dark, cool place. Just put them on my truck last year, they are still running strong.
Where ever you store them, don't stack them one on top of the other. The tires on the bottom will fold together from the weight of the tires on top.

No armorall because some tire manufacturers will not warrant sidewall cracking and weather checking if [silicone based] protectants are used. I have also seen tires' sidewalls turn brown from use of armorall.

A better protectant would be 303 rubber protectant, it has always been silicone free as far as I know.

quote:

Originally posted by Swift:
Sure pick em up. Stay away from the Armorall.
Just store em in a cool dry place on their sidewalls.

I would not store them on their sidewall, and I especially would not stack them. The beads will close together and will "set" like that, making the mounting to the rim for the first time, extremely difficult in trying to get the beads close to the rim, to take on air. That is why most tires in tire store racks are stored vertically. Or mount them to an old rim and store them anyway you want.

And no, I have never heard of tires going bad, unless they were exposed to the elements 24 hours a day, years on end. I wonder how old some of the tires are in some tire stores? I bet more than two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back