Do thinner oils (SAE xW-20, xW-30) do better at high RPMs?

Arco, I do agree with you a replacement EJ25 would be "the way to go" here. I wasn't ignoring you, buddy. It is a money thing

My mechanic actually told me not to get that cammed EJ25 for that same reason you say the JDM won't work: it "won't run right."
I mean, what is actually wrong with your current motor? Have you done compression tests on it?

I mean, what is actually wrong with your current motor? Have you done compression tests on it?
I think a compression test is a waste of money, on that engine at that time. I believe it went like this:

Driving through Pennsylvania, up steep mountain incline at about 80MPH, car started tripping P0420 code. Pulled off of I-80 into Poconos Mountains Wal-Mart to buy scanner, read codes, clear codes, make sure everything was all right with the car.

Thousand or so miles after that, started hearing noise like a bicycle card in a bike tire. At low speeds.

Hundreds and hundreds of miles more.. eventually made rattle can of spray paint noise only at start-up. Freakout ensued.

After much filter changing and oil changing.. noises progressed.

Now it has a rod knock and the car has been out of service for a few weeks.

And that is consistent with an $700 Subaru from New York...

I made this thread because I thought I found an EJ25.. turned out to be a cammed, modified one from an Impreza.

Any GOOD EJ25 costs about a thousand bucks. Plus shipping.

So now it's more like an experiment for me.

I should just junk the car, but, considering how it's my car.. nah, let's see how this turns out.

And if it's a 🔥 💩 then we can just get another engine in there in a month. It's all good.
Just amusing.
Alright that's cool.

Life is boring, boring, boring, man. If you can believe that I actually hold back on posting and now that I have a day off.. this is literally about the only thing I'm doing, reading the forum, letting the bird fly, etc. Back to work tomorrow afternoon. I already changed the oil... This is my engagement, if you will.

If you can believe that I actually hold back on posting and now that I have a day off.. this is literally about the only thing I'm doing, reading the forum, letting the bird fly, etc. Back to work tomorrow afternoon. I already changed the oil... This is my engagement, if you will.
I am quite aware.

Presently taking a shower just because then maybe I can come out of it with a fresh pair of eyes and maybe do something else.

The Subaru should be back.. well it might be ready on Wednesday, but I might have it back after Christmas. Depends on how much it costs, labor-wise, paying for that then I get it back.

I'm anxious to see how your JDM swap works out!! Have you bought the engine yet? People did that with Z32's all the time.

Presently taking a shower just because then maybe I can come out of it with a fresh pair of eyes and maybe do something else.

The Subaru should be back.. well it might be ready on Wednesday, but I might have it back after Christmas. Depends on how much it costs, labor-wise, paying for that then I get it back.
What are they doing to it?

I'm not getting a linear progression of thoughts from you.

I have A_ADD pretty bad. But I am aware of it and I have been working on it for decades to minimise it.

I would just pull the engine and re-ring it and puts some new bearings in it. All sweat equity the cost should be under 750 for gaskets and parts. Then you will have an engine good for 75K miles or more. There are a few decent EJ251 and EJ253 rebuild videos on YT.

Remember under all that junk on top and on front, its just a tiny 4 banger- - like an old BMW R60 Motorbike - except with 2 more cylinders.

Forget the 90's maxima, they were pretty rancid when new. Had one with a 5 speed. They would be trash now.

Whatever happened with this 'engine swap'? My gut tells me it wasn't as simple as the mechanic led JT20 to believe... PS: While I didn't read all 9 pages of posts I did read enough to become curious...it's like reading a book that's missing the last chapter...

Back