Do things like this bug you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the top of the BITOG page as I type right now is an M1 ad. What bugs me is that it shows an inline-4 crankshaft, rods, and pistons, all moving in slick animation... BUT THE MOVEMENT IS WRONG!! The pistons are moving like an inline-4 TWO STROKE engine would (ignoring balance), not with the inboard pistons moving in sync, and the outboard pistons moving in sync and opposite to the inner pair like a 4-stroke gasoline automobile inline 4 would.

It also bugged me when one of the oil companies ran an ad on TV showing a 4-valve head with valves and springs, but all 4 valves moved in unison like a Detroit Diesel 2-stroke might.

Yes, I'm easily bugged. But then I read BITOG so we already know I over-think things, right?
grin.gif

I'm glad someone else noticed that. It's been that way for months, and I always felt I was insane that it bothered me. Not as bad as the MMO animation, though, which shot fuel through the spark plug and opened the valves every rotation of the crank.

It didn't bug me before, but it's bugging me now.
wink.gif

In all seriousness, things like this do bug me when I notice them. You're not alone!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
It didn't bug me before, but it's bugging me now.
wink.gif

I'm torn as to whether I should apologize or say "HAAA-hah!" :p

It didn't bug me because I filtered those ads out, but the left column on the forum is annoying. I couldn't disable it or move it to the top. Still using a 19" CRT so screen space is precious and I'd rather not waste it.

It has annoyed me too... you would think they would TRY to get the cylinder firing order right for an ad on an automotive enthusiast forum.....

Originally Posted By: Brenden
It has annoyed me too... you would think they would TRY to get the cylinder firing order right for an ad on an automotive enthusiast forum.....

In all fairness, the animation they have looks a lot cooler than a normal 4-stroke inline-4 animation...

maybe it says something about Mobil 1's little knowledge of engines?
grin2.gif
I do agree that its probably because it looks cooler than a regular inline 4. Everything is marketing nowadays.

I like how now you have me watching youtube videos of detroit diesels. Sound soooo nice.
55.gif

Never really looked at it that closely. It got the point across, but I never looked at it in a rigorous way.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
At the top of the BITOG page as I type right now is an M1 ad. What bugs me is that it shows an inline-4 crankshaft, rods, and pistons, all moving in slick animation... BUT THE MOVEMENT IS WRONG!! The pistons are moving like an inline-4 TWO STROKE engine would (ignoring balance), not with the inboard pistons moving in sync, and the outboard pistons moving in sync and opposite to the inner pair like a 4-stroke gasoline automobile inline 4 would.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...179#Post2395179

Careful. That's a site sponsor you're talking about.

While we're picking up on missing details from oil companies, I have to say that I don't like Valvoline's application guide. It doesn't point me to the correct version / viscosity for Mercedes requirements even though they sell such an oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjacket
While we're picking up on missing details from oil companies, I have to say that I don't like Valvoline's application guide. It doesn't point me to the correct version / viscosity for Mercedes requirements even though they sell such an oil.

Is this for your CLK? Does it require 229.5 oil? If so, the only Valvoline oil in the US that formally meets this certification is SynPower 5w-40 HST, but this oil is only sold as a shop product in 55-gal drums. Would you like to purchase one?

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Careful. That's a site sponsor you're talking about.

NOT A SITE SPONSOR. Oh no. They might decide to revoke your oil buying privileges.

Okay, so that balance would work for an I4 two-stroke engine; maybe. And what M1 oils displayed are spec'd for that.

They should either correct it or dump it.
It does make you wonder how many people at Mobil approved this silly add'? Hopefully their chemists, tribologist and engineers know more about engines than those in the add' department.
Bt often that's not the case with huge corporations where the focus of anyone's job is so narrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back