Do things like this bug you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once saw a Chevy 4cyl that had three pistons down when one was at TDC, at the next 180* of rotation it had two up & two down... Would have been a neat trick if it didn't have a broken rod... Interestingly it made no strange noise when running, must have been the oil...

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Bt often that's not the case with huge corporations where the focus of anyone's job is so narrow.

.... rather most people aren't interested much beyond the minimum they need to do in the job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rjacket
While we're picking up on missing details from oil companies, I have to say that I don't like Valvoline's application guide. It doesn't point me to the correct version / viscosity for Mercedes requirements even though they sell such an oil.

Is this for your CLK? Does it require 229.5 oil? If so, the only Valvoline oil in the US that formally meets this certification is SynPower 5w-40 HST, but this oil is only sold as a shop product in 55-gal drums. Would you like to purchase one?

No thanks. I've seen drum prices that are more expensive than quarts.

You're right about it not being available to the consumer to purchase, but I presume it is available at Valvoline oil change locations and other shops which is a valid reason to consult their application guide.

My first point, which is that it pointed me to the wrong oil, is still valid and concerning. Would they honor their guarantee if something went wrong seeing that I used the wrong oil?

Last edited:
I can't see the add but I know sport bikes firing order is different, like in a r1, uses an uneven firing order to produce a smooth torque band that has no pulses that you can feel at the rear wheel while leaned over

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Maybe it's just me but I thought all in line 4 cylinder engines had cyl's 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 moving up and down in tandem.
Are their any I4 engines as depicted in the Mobil 1 add'?

Not that I know of... But the typical 4-cylinder movement that you mentioned (1 & 4 in tandem, and 2 & 3 in tandem) would be considered a "flat-plane" of "180-degree" crankshaft. There are very few production "cross-plane" crankshaft 4-cylinder engines. The one that comes to mind is the Yamaha 1000cc motorcycle engine, starting in 2010 I believe.

However, the engine depicted in the Mobil 1 ad is a blend of both, is not balanced, and would likely not work.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
My first point, which is that it pointed me to the wrong oil, is still valid and concerning. Would they honor their guarantee if something went wrong seeing that I used the wrong oil?

Which oil did their tool recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back