Do they still put the vin on each panel?

On my Honda I see the vin number on a sticker of each door panel and bumper cover, I can't find any of these on our VW. What gives? Do manufacturers no longer do this?

The RAV4 has dealer applied security etch stickers on the panels that they charged $200 for, probably paid $10 for them. Straight up profit center. The 18 Titan doesn't have any VIN or otherwise stickers anywhere, the 02 Xterra has the VIN stickers. Are you sure it's a manufacturer thing or is it a dealer thing?

I did not notice any of this on the Evo or my focus - just the normal VIN placements on the windshield and door jamb.

The RAV4 has dealer applied security etch stickers on the panels that they charged $200 for, probably paid $10 for them. Straight up profit center. The 18 Titan doesn't have any VIN or otherwise stickers anywhere, the 02 Xterra has the VIN stickers. Are you sure it's a manufacturer thing or is it a dealer thing?
When I bought my Camry 5 years ago it came with the window etching. The dealer explained to me that the etching charge is if I want to purchase insurance that would link the etch number to the car in some stolen car database. If I didn't want the insurance there was no charge for the etch. I declined the extra fee.

On my Honda I see the vin number on a sticker of each door panel and bumper cover, I can't find any of these on our VW. What gives? Do manufacturers no longer do this?
My Accord has those stickers as well. I was told that's the way you can tell that the car has never been in an accident. Is this true?

Not sure if VW still does it but they used to stamp it into one of the front fenders inside engine bay, haven't really looked at any of my more recent VW's to see if they still do that.

**Edit - just checked my E-Golf and yeah VIN stamped into the structural rail the passenger fender attaches to.**

Last edited:
My Hyundai has it, a couple of my GM’s from the 2006-2008 period also have them.

I believe you are referring to the stickers that which were required by a federal law... I believe it was the "Motor Vehicle Theft Protection Act"

I can't find any of these on our VW. What gives? Do manufacturers no longer do this?
Just because you cant see it doesn't mean it doesn't have them. A Nissan Versa I'm working on has the fender sticker on the inside of the fender so you would have to take off the liner to see it. I've seen ones for bumpers on the inside too. For the doors did you look from the bottom as well as the front and back edges?

Not sure if VW still does it but they used to stamp it into one of the front fenders inside engine bay, haven't really looked at any of my more recent VW's to see if they still do that.

**Edit - just checked my E-Golf and yeah VIN stamped into the structural rail the passenger fender attaches to.**
Yes. I have seen the stamp in the engine bay. I was curious about the vin being etched / sticker'd on each door, the trunk and bumpers. I thought I remembered reading all motor vehicles were required to have this from the factory, so I was a bit perplexed when I couldn't find them on our VW. Maybe what I read no longer holds true.

Back