Do these brake pads look used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is In need of rear brakes and I was looking around for new rear pads.

Originally I didn't decide yet which brand to buy. But while browsing Amazon warehouse deals for car parts, I found an open box listing of OEM pads for $30. Normally those cost $75.

For fun, I decided to buy them. I got them today today and when I took them out, they didn't appear as new as I've seen before.

The faces of the pads look like they were worn down a bit. However, the rest of the pad looks fine. I don't see any markings that indicate they were installed in a car before. The edges don't have grease residue and the backs don't have caliper imprints on them.

The pads themselves were loose in the box, but I expected that. Do you think the "worn" look is just from the pads moving around in the box?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They look gently used to me. But then again the scorching/break-in process can leave pads looking a little used.

AC Delco pads are available at every price point. Not sure which is one OEM.

Bendix makes GF pads, Bosch makes GG pads, both for under $30 from RockAuto. Those are only FF. Food for thought.

Another thought. That's a HUGE selection of brake pads from RA, including fleet semi-metallics. Those pads must be used on vehicles other than DTS's!
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,2011,dts,4.6l+v8,1447654,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684

I think they look like they've been used. That said, they don't look like they had a lot of heat put into them. While preferring unused pads, I'd use these pads without hesitation if the car needed to be put back in service that day. They will be fine. After a month in service , you'll not even think about it.

Scott

When they painted the backing plate they got some overspray on the lining.

I think they look new. If they had been installed on a car you would see scoring on the back and the ears that go in the slider hardware, and the black paint there looks perfect. I think you could be seeing where they machine the contact surface after they paint the rest of each pad? Also, the chamfering wares down really fast I've noticed, and the leading edge wears down faster, so they would be a little uneven.

Originally Posted by HangFire
They look gently used to me. But then again the scorching/break-in process can leave pads looking a little used.

AC Delco pads are available at every price point. Not sure which is one OEM.

Bendix makes GF pads, Bosch makes GG pads, both for under $30 from RockAuto. Those are only FF. Food for thought.

Another thought. That's a HUGE selection of brake pads from RA, including fleet semi-metallics. Those pads must be used on vehicles other than DTS's!
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,2011,dts,4.6l+v8,1447654,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684

By OEM I meant the factory AC Delco Pads. The part number for these is ACDelco 171-0954.

AC Delco has 3 tiers of parts, Advantage, Professional and OEM. OEM is the exact part installed at the factory.

I was originally thinking of getting the AC Delco Advantage pads for $25 on Amazon, or some Wagner Thermoquiet pads for $30 locally at Advanced Auto Parts.

These OEM pads are ~$80 online. But when I saw these for $30, I figured its an excellent deal to get factory pads for just $5 more. These also came with clips which are unused and not bent.

Can you post a back side view? Are there any circle marks on the backing plates? That would indicate where the back of the pad contacted the piston of the caliper.

The copper flakes on only one side of a given pad could indicate having been used.

If they look slightly used (like your worried about), but the rest of them looks 'brand' now, I'd figure their NEW.
Chauk up your worry to getting a great price.

Can you measure them and compare to 'new' pads ?
Most likely confirm that their new.

I'd install and observe how they work & sound.
After one Week, feel free to worry about something else.

Originally Posted by A_User55555
By OEM I meant the factory AC Delco Pads. The part number for these is ACDelco 171-0954.
These OEM pads are ~$80 online. But when I saw these for $30, I figured its an excellent deal to get factory pads for just $5 more. These also came with clips which are unused and not bent.

With clips for $30, that is a good deal then, indeed they are $76.89 at RockAuto.
On the off chance they were used, you still have almost 100% of the life left in them.
If you were happy with the original pads, nothing wrong with going OEM again. Cost is the major reason most don't.
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
After one Week, feel free to worry about something else.

That's what we do, here on BITOG!

Look at the back of the pad for caliper piston cylinder marks, but that looks 100% new to me.

In the case it was used, for 60% off you got 99% of the pad I'd say you are far ahead.

Install them and forget about it for the next 50k+ miles.

I have bought amazon ware house deals, usually they are a steal at a fraction of a price. I'll install them happily
smile.gif

Good luck
thumbsup2.gif

Look like new pads to me. Some greasy finger prints and a few marks from bouncing around in the box is all I see on them. Definitely dont see any sign they made contact with a rotor or caliper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back