Do spray waxes/coatings provide real paint protection?

Lately there have been numerous discussions about spray sealants or coatings with favorable water beading, dirt repellency and chemical resistance properties. All of these are characteristics that make a vehicle's finish easier to clean.

For the "average consumer," I assume vehicles are being waxed/sealed for protection, not for any of the chemical or water resistance properties. How do we know that these new products are protecting the paint from UV and fading, and are not just making the finishes easier to care for? Can paint protection even be measured?

Just curious.

I think they do, but we can get the opinion of the wax expert @oesman.

I just waxed my 2021 Prius Prime Limited Spirited Aqua Metallic (Blue Magnetism) with Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine, including all the glass, plastic trim, and wheels. I didn't wax the tire rubber. It took a lot longer than I expected to even the wax. The actual color is aqua, but it's hard to get it right on the camera. The under-hood picture is very close to the actual color under sunlight.

KfHJEDPN473AamT-48Bv8YGPt2eml2Ax6UndWjV94ktrc-Uma-LFTBCDMjOuCT_s9pi8195JauFHZvq4rnTDH3IZEdFJ7ew_GAssZi-7LbJnhJwICaF1ktqpSFA1BmCWtMxceQWPdpffOcYQm0-JXfxAaR_aY4YouRnmRaG5q0Hajpc05AijQBeBYcqB_9zROEhr2Ne43_AWiApdmbVUleicJH4kRdbMRqo0bvmwfENaOn2UaeregmpxtK3Hzt_PmU0Zu5q80xE03KmhPTGPmFdKPxfVTnnubDqZzfwuZPeicpaGMC-KmcA7alHhZk_wBCiyPocdG8uvKaleGwwmW6z2yTxOMS18HHYCr8lFOMr_FgnmLNI8_xdbTuaDf46H1fUft9aRv1mXhWvcsDwIWzVpjYEdDrUzsNn0SBwd5beLdptbJTuvh3iA57y3iks3A23U_fc5EUYXgYyyYBrBNzVz8gYiz314EzzsH9vfXAomG8qA6yckNzPNLRSyBuL4YBs8xF2MdBy-ND_vvkkJNoYLu2Suhd5fkmCAWyWubIf2LMnIcjnanvkr_exYVZN-FW0vVv404v3zX0DBa5kFWmaEOAP6nfsZiTItqFMORNAX0PIb2KJanhiH6jvG8MEiBxuZXTvJA6L95P5tc-RMsqT86SkJAuXp-74PtVAtm-X5nYr-uBUREpVThcgcjTjTmLN62bwMdY6Ikkgfn3pnLrKkDg=w2880-h2160-no

RemyOHXurZ6UvathyOJWBtUt-sbD9YI5O571w5CcQi1AQsd-cwpSAPfTbl-JTC2oCbh_a8JmdAM1MthX0WG56MreXx0ApxlPNKwFuBmvgMqBjOeIWUx7pnnwlNxLzpgqJ0DCNR29QrHdDbjSaIP8iZ-u9XPQZyUs0mfmHx5ufZsNKdItO0eOFknHkY4Mjzo2oUXVquUOFTfedHrSIDC8RlbPw3nHhBQbjYFXRNY5iVrPNX8ieR9NpYibW_ZeTOSJbDllwxSVl09KT32uG5DdXhGkMCe8HZ0XpbEJ1dOWVRIy59X8JYQyVZF-JfZ_UrcqlQly9QP8NUT59QhfbLwW1W0fP2rEgNPWAtMNU2RTmDO0aO1OHNGjdz4JII-d7B0T6aOeBW50gnz-4rw0opRtMYA7nXpxRerXjIe2zvQaoG7K7RA3n66y2v4CpqqKVbz2yPuWXZdQcT3UCPxhGDEHGIr8_jSwFiKo6nJV9G-suOmzoAnKupbQ6yqdDgpzMqH70kPk2wIay4hIMqspP3fazYUuT2E4wrNPXaaN2fIG10VMOtmcNNpWF41AZVnhxSojaoO4INWnM8rggrf52AUpdvmdldTzIrJ5T_C5VUZwz4y4w-ReGQ3PH-2HRrDyBT0PUktMvRkjqqmE7c-SiihI62C013KMpP6qBG0t94zDzgU9DQa1lxrc0l12sW6FAGhBnsnfiTpSYPy9AU6Pc129j3xfSg=w2880-h2160-no

e67iaBTOL7A_edKMTiPk1OxaG29oF9myhKOpr4H462AlDqDxju67TVQX5d0yxWtBhTAVcYRt9oV0rzdwV1ZQcojHAIYScdk7f9OuR9Ou83HmcCe1GtDsKKlRtzPbHapBjwUZV1iQHvKFDQrpVFbeDtAXmo-a54ijLHsYbYO7JExvcpedp6IgG7RjKThfhKTjljplr_umuvk8G4j5CI7VeEcY6tsJmrgdbLVhDdlCr1omjgmicBbIylodSjfhTTS3Sce9BnxZxnCXhrOmeX8UMYg218oiK_jK13ZoRGd-mCHMcLbmxFz16Vv4chMT1UbJJZZBG67F8d49B9TRnSMq9BfdsmRtdSCXgcerY2u_n8BSYk9h7_Wqmbuo1YS17jR9oaNG6mppjve7YZkC7vyE8zbuWFA6FbAuS9WoaySPg50LkvraknSevM9TrOUHXBNYNfHCOwLRSeW5i4PvJpbk8C3Bou6W_BJ7lZP4Q5q5-gQC21xj4T1G9JAdqc4GsK6zYL1ZpLhWpyyNihqWMG8IttNn8QZZLE_UYiKepd-D7gR3_q5Mr0oEH3Xf8VWiyBunAiQO8_aPpUjCr9t6gyi9LF1acGF-8DxJIoV8emm2dzKIFWGzeJIeSzI6EP9ENvUtoV1ISjSVli-me4_jSgblTHlCkM-YjeNR4ISp4ipA62qsGrex7sC3ozT6TUtfi2iaWXRS_BGsriQnHtTsC4Kh-_jyIw=w2880-h2160-no

g9z9rNjb5Mn4esfOT-fYIJP27RjsjNaafvPpmGf0UwObL8GirQW95q5oNiXXzO2dIp6LImjPi03dMmOckkBFd9DEf7aPiNyHkm9LVrz2_7YqfOoG0Em1-jj_h8CNy8w_0jwwEIu5B4wNsTJYZAfR-mJx3n31KPC8OJJTg_6vgGdWULE910Akwk5P5Ea7juVH8y1mmZNCzXfQyx7A_66kLPybg1zdLXYPNj6k-Fcc7KHRp4VRVuPLKLUFN0M3nf7xQbSZbCkuy38OacFphXCYulz_Lkun2MS5MY_hTlts1kURgq9QZHFwriAmtrPj0ROTi8mnOtyZ5HQVfz1nsCjekFi5oFoWT49RPri-5V6USlLdvIyRutCkzK1zqhssJENsSP8V78TzRI3QLLO7_hmjTDlg6YzLJw0xgUWQnUtENGdPuLQQarRXOzluDM2wAGQxt-1vKmYtI31RGkbluIKgwFk4TxFn7d49dwJhLLeKtFy78ty6qHS1zD0xkPT7HdXqWp2eaXsinecEhNSiRIcxqJoftFVlQh09Ypht3G4KZZQaA8OFqwhxIb-pG7mB6xv62bozj4EUM1ncLTesi6OrgDzeyrCMjHruefAfIfUqVjGTONs3nOQ-42ck05xpL13Z8UKyOSHaBMd6NlLk5kirhIlx8rvs0wLA1xedMLM-7JpdPSFJ-a_PB5Qoe-yP6o4ZYWYPqOLQhzDIUq7Yh5U_Wl2SyA=w2880-h2160-no

Last edited:
How do we know that these new products are protecting the paint from UV and fading, and are not just making the finishes easier to care for? Can paint protection even be measured?
I really don't see how their could be a standard to measure by. I'd say that's true of all the products available not just spray on types. Many claim UV protection but to what extent, for how long? The ceramics, some anyway, hold promise but the old "Look, it still beads up" doesn't clinch it for me. Frankly I prefer products that sheet water off of the paint rather than bead up for the sun to bake them in.

I suppose the eyes are the best judge of how well any given product is doing. Other factors like always being garaged vs outside 24/7 obviously affects how well any product holds up.

All the answers above are dead on 🥎🥎 right. Clearcoat is what protects the paint. This "protection" offers a sacrificial layer for the dirt and road film to stick to, then we wash it off, then add another layer. Many products are petroleum based and what gives that beading appearance. The biggest piece is to keep the clearcoat clean using a high pH high detergent product such as Purple Power Vehicle and Boat Wash, then reapply a quality spray wax at every cleaning. Your car will always be 100% decontaminated (not simply washed) and 100% waxed.

Anecdotally, aside from the nice temporary look, the one advantage I've experienced from a good wax or sealant coating is removing tree sap and especially bird droppings. I've found them to be real buggers at times to clean off otherwise.

I think they provide protection to the clear coat as already mentioned. However I have my doubts about those spray on wash off so called "ceramic" products. My experiences with them on properly prepared vehicles was not what I was hoping for.
27.gif
I'd rather spend a little more time with something like Jescar Powerlock and have it last a lot longer and look better.

How do we know that these new products are protecting the paint from UV and fading, and are not just making the finishes easier to care for? Can paint protection even be measured?

Just curious.
I don't know how to measure it other than by observing what has and has not changed over time. I keep a coat of synthetic 'wax' on my truck, and maintain it every wash with a spray sealer. The truck looks nearly brand new after 6 years sitting in my driveway under the Texas sun & weather. Maintenance with chemicals (and elbow grease) absolutely slows down the aging process of paint & clearcoat. The clearcoat would have a white tint to it, or would've failed by now on the roof & hood if I didn't stay on top of it.

As I understand it, wax is formulated with fine abrasives, designed to remove a layer of oxidized paint. According to Consumer Reports it is gentle enough that you can wax every week for four years and not remove the paint layer.

Check out Apex Detailing on Youtube. He does a heat test to see if the product handle it by heating the panel with a heat gun. Not sure how else can you measure it.

I do not wax my vehicles as often as I did 30 years ago. It seems to me these clear coats and paint finishes last very well with a minimum amount of waxing or buffing. I run everything through automatic car washes except for my Corvette. I like to go over them with a quick detailer every so often and I don't spend a lot of time waxing any longer.

I actually enjoy waxing and polishing, but for cheap and effective protection with a good protection TW Seal and Shine cannot be beat.

If you want to try a new wax, their ceramic/graphene paste wax is amazing, great gloss and testing durability will see how it holds up.

YouTube is loaded to the nose with sponsored content theee days.
Therefore it's not a credible source.
That's kind of a dumb statement. There is plenty of detailing content on YouTube that is not sponsored. Apex Detail is a very good channel, so are Forensic Detailing, and Pan the Organizer. *If* they do sponsored content they disclose it.

Realistically no real product beyond films will offer any significant protection, they can make the vehicle look more visibly appealing though, and in a better condition than it truly is.

At best they only help to slow down degradation, which can be enough for many people if the vehicle is properly maintained, but it will not stop chips, scratch, water etching, or bird droppings from damaging the paint. It will also still slowly oxidize the clear coat over time, but they can make it easier to clean the vehicle.

The environment is a harsh place, all you can really ask for is to slow down the degradation rate but nothing can truly prevent it.

Realistically no real product beyond films will offer any significant protection, they can make the vehicle look more visibly appealing though, and in a better condition than it truly is.

At best they only help to slow down degradation, which can be enough for many people if the vehicle is properly maintained, but it will not stop chips, scratch, water etching, or bird droppings from damaging the paint. It will also still slowly oxidize the clear coat over time, but they can make it easier to clean the vehicle.

The environment is a harsh place, all you can really ask for is to slow down the degradation rate but nothing can truly prevent it.
Definitely agree with that as I do as much as I can within realistic health/energy limits. We can't stop natural degradation, but every little bit of effort surely helps in the long run. I tend to keep vehicles for quite some time and strive to keep it as close to factory new as possible and the newer products definitely help with that. I for one **** sure don't miss the days of having to use rubbing compound (by hand back then) and trying to keep those cans of paste wax from drying out/cracking and becoming useless fairly quickly.

Back