Do PureOne Filters have an Anti-Drain Back Valve??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a 1985 Toyota 22RE engine back into health and ran a couple short OCI with whatever 10W-40 was on sale and cheapo filters.

Now its time for the good stuff and I want an oil filter with a very good anti-drainback valve, just like OEM.

It looks like the PureOne PL20195 is good equivelent for the OEM 90915-YZZD3.

Do the PureOne's definitely have an anti drain back valve that works as good as OEM? Or should I just stick with OEM?

Thanks!

I use the PL20195 on my Tacoma and it's mounted vertically with base down. The silicone ADBV has always worked well for me.

See the ADBV test I did in this thread.

Link: PureOne ADBV Test

Wow...thanks for the quick reply. The 22RE oil filter is mounted horizontally with a slight pitch downwards, causing ALL of the oil to drain out on the cheaper filters.

Looks like the PL20195 will be my next filter!

I would check if the PL20195 is one of the tear prone filters before using it. I used to be a big Purolator fan but not so much any more....

Hmmmmm.....well I just spent that past hour or so researching filters and thought I came to the conclusion that the PL20195 is the best and Fram anything is the worst.

What gives????

Please edumacate me
smile.gif

I have not had much luck with Purolator ADBVs as of lately.

I only use Bosch now on my Lexus (1MZFE engine w/ same diagonal facing filter setup as you describe, which I do not like)

Originally Posted By: evanautumn
I have not had much luck with Purolator ADBVs as of lately.

I only use Bosch now on my Lexus (1MZFE engine w/ same diagonal facing filter setup as you describe, which I do not like)

Which are re-labeled Purolators...

Keep researching there's page after page of purolator media tears. Fram ultra is about the best out right now and the tough guards are great filters. Ocod is fine but expensive for the filtration you get. Also wix are great. Purolator is having major issues now and won't admit to it or offer any help to bitog and I've been a long time user of them exclusively but no longer I returned what I had and got frams ultras and tough guards. And am looking forward to pulling the 5 purolators in use right now. And cutting into them.

So whats the best filter out there then short of going to a bypass system?

EDIT....I was just a second behind you. So the Bosch Distance Plus D3330 is also in the same boat? What is the opinion of the Mobil 1 filters these days?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AdmiralYoda
Now its time for the good stuff and I want an oil filter with a very good anti-drainback valve, just like OEM.

It looks like the PureOne PL20195 is good equivelent for the OEM 90915-YZZD3.

Do the PureOne's definitely have an anti drain back valve that works as good as OEM? Or should I just stick with OEM?

Thanks!

To clarify, the presence of an ADBV has to do with the application, not the brand. Some cars don't call for them, like my Subaru, and none of the filter manufacturers who make a Subaru-specific filter puts an ADBV in them.

If your car calls for one, PureOnes have a silicone ADBV that should be nice and flexible and should work well. Bosch Premiums (essentially the same filter) will also.

Since it's a Toyota, you could try a Denso but the Denso aftermarket filters are nothing special.

Just for clarification, the Fram Ultra is the same as the Extended Guard?

Frams website lists a XG3614 as Ultra/Xtended Guard. Doesn't seem like they have a specific one that is just the "Ultra" variety.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AdmiralYoda
Just for clarification, the Fram Ultra is the same as the Extended Guard?

Frams website lists a XG3614 as Ultra/Xtended Guard. Doesn't seem like they have a specific one that is just the "Ultra" variety.

The "Xtended Guard" is the older version of the Ultra. That is, both have the full synthetic wire backed media. Both have the "XG" prefix in their part number. The Ultra has a bit better efficiency and holding capacity than the Xtended Guard did.

The Extra Guard is the orange can (the lowest tier filter from Fram), and the Tough Guard is the next up. Ultra is at the top.

If you see the "Xtended Guard" on the shelf, it's an old filter because Fram only now manufactures the Ultra for the XG series.

http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/all-oil-filters.aspx

Thanks guys for the help.....Ultra it is!

Not to derail my own thread, but I started out saying I was doing short OCI with cheapo 10W-40 and cheapo filters (Fram Extra Guards)

Every time I took one of those off it was empty after only sitting for a few minutes to an hour tops. Frams website says it has an ADBV. Just food for thought.

Looking forward to trying the Ultra....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back