Do Performance Air Filters Actually Work? by Engineering Explained 11/14/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rat407
I never change my air filter, I just trade my vehicle in when it needs a new filter and tires.
27.gif

That is the best way and i am getting there.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Rat407
I never change my air filter, I just trade my vehicle in when it needs a new filter and tires.
27.gif

That is the best way and i am getting there.

The way to a high net worth for sure...

If the stock air filter puts no restriction(as shown by a air filter restriction gauge) how can a filter that flows more cfm make more power?
If the engine is getting 100% of the air it wants with no restriction, putting a larger filter on it won' t get you more hp.
If someone on here can show me how a filter that causes no restriction cost the engine hp I'd like to hear your theory on that.

I put 90k miles on my S2000 and at the end of six years it still showed no restriction. 6 years is my limit for this type of filter regardless of how low the restriction is.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...y-s2000-air-filter-with-pics#Post4224252

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rrounds
If the stock air filter puts no restriction(as shown by a air filter restriction gauge) how can a filter that flows more cfm make more power?
If the engine is getting 100% of the air it wants with no restriction, putting a larger filter on it won' t get you more hp.
If someone on here can show me how a filter that causes no restriction cost the engine hp I'd like to hear your theory on that.

I put 90k miles on my S2000 and at the end of six years it still showed no restriction. 6 years is my limit for this type of filter regardless of how low the restriction is.

Rod

Agreed ,,, but this is Bitog and marketing alone is worth a10% power gain and a 10% increase in mpgs..

The hinky thing is that on most vehicles, the air ducting and filter box has more restriction than the air filter itself. In 99% of cases, restriction cannot be removed by doing anything with the air filter, including removing it.

Comments about SiO2 spiking...here's my latest UOA running a K&N since new, note comment about "excellent filtration"....I'll continue to do UOAs and will be interesting to see how that may or may not change over time.

18 GOLF SW-190703_UOA_15K.jpg

Originally Posted by rrounds

Rod

Normally I would agree. But in my 2015 Focus, it simply is better. I've gone back and forth for 3 years now trying to convince myself that its just a fluke. But the results are the same every time.

The Ford GT uses a pair of the same air filters as my 2017 Fusion Sport. If it is good enough for the GT, it is good enough for my family sedan.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Performance air filter=more dirt getting through. OEM is all you need.

My UOA posted above says otherwise.

Disclaimer: In my conditions/area/use/etc.

The only issue with his video was only using one filter, the oldest and first a k&n to represent all HP ones. Oiled or not cotton gauze(like a bandage wrap)or woven (clothing), how many layers etc.. It's not really a gain in the way they make it sound with advertising. Really more of it just doesn't start to restrict as soon, as it gets dirty. The oiled get a bad wrap from people over oiling and k&n using gauze which can come out in small chunks carrying oil with them. K&N also by how they mold the seal lose a fair amount of filter area as rubber over the pleats vs filter material. Some do flow more air enough to trip cause an engine light on duramax. Though at what if any expense to filtration and could this help power, without a tune no. A stock vehicle wants to run based on how it was equipped when made. .It may adapt to changes but won't be designed to self optimize itself. A good example is flex fuel cars stock on ethanol vs gas it's a power and mpg loss. On a dyno or tuned they can provide a substantial gain of power running ethanol even over a running gas and dyno tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back