Do Manufacturers Assume Loss of Grade?

I've been thinking about the tendency of oil to shear in some applications. I was trying to figure out why a manufacturer would spec a 5W-30 over a 5W-20 if they both came out of the crankcase at 8.6 cSt.

Do manufacturers assume a one grade loss in use?
IE 5W-30 will be a 20 Grade and 5W-20 will be a 16 Grade?

Like most things oil...does it really matter as long as it meets specs going in and it's changed at an appropriate OCI? This forum has plenty of UOAs with significant fuel dilution, low to out of grade viscosities and no apparent issues with the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Like most things oil...does it really matter as long as it meets specs going in and it's changed at an appropriate OCI? This forum has plenty of UOAs with significant fuel dilution, low to out of grade viscosities and no apparent issues with the engine.

So your saying the manufacturer picked the grade by flipping a coin?

Last edited:
Of course. Thats call figured into the OCI and recommended grade.

The hysteria around 20 grade is amusing because many have been effectively driving around with sheared and diluted 20 that started at a 30- for decades.

UD

Originally Posted by Gene K

So your saying the manufacturer picked the grade by flipping a coin?

I'm saying whatever their reason for one grade or another have you ever seen definitive proof it really matters? How many "discussions" do we suffer through on here with respect to "Oh my God engine X used to be spec'd for 5W-30 and now purely because of CAFE it's spec'd for 0W-20 and the sky is falling". Then mile after mile and UOA after UOA life goes on seemingly without any issues.

I think BITOGers, in general, try too hard to dissect out the nuance in oil choice that 99% of the time makes no appreciable difference. It really doesn't have to be any harder than following the manual for grade, certs and OCI. Then again, if we just did that, half of all posts here could be deleted.

This is a concern that comes up with wet clutch motorcycles. In the most severe case, I've seen a UOA of a bike that sheared 10W60 down to a 30wt (KTM I think?).

Not sure if it really matters as long as the wear metals stay within safe ranges... the only viable "fix" is to change the oil every 1K or something but that's just impractical and expensive.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
They don't assume anything, they do hundreds upon hundreds of tests and determine and dissect actual results

Which is why I am asking, what is the advantage of 5W-30 over 5W-20 if they are the same viscosity after a couple of thousand miles? All I could come up with is a worse case assessment that some formulations of 5W-20 might shear to a 16 grade.

Last edited:
I'm saying whatever their reason for one grade or another have you ever seen definitive proof it really matters? How many "discussions" do we suffer through on here with respect to "Oh my God engine X used to be spec'd for 5W-30 and now purely because of CAFE it's spec'd for 0W-20 and the sky is falling". Then mile after mile and UOA after UOA life goes on seemingly without any issues.

I think BITOGers, in general, try too hard to dissect out the nuance in oil choice that 99% of the time makes no appreciable difference. It really doesn't have to be any harder than following the manual for grade, certs and OCI. Then again, if we just did that, half of all posts here could be deleted.

"Like, like, like, like"

Do manufacturers assume a one grade loss in use?

I'm sure they factor in far more things than most here can even dream of and they realize, they're non-factors. On top of many moving from 30 weight down to practically-water-20-weight oil, they are extending the oil change intervals (oh my !) and with what consequences ? None to speak of in all reality. If there's one thing people do agree on, engines are lasting longer than ever.

Originally Posted by spasm3
30 grade oils sheared down in the 80's. But do the modern 30's shear down in the absence of fuel dilution?

Yup - certain mills are worse than others.

DOHC V8's with DI tend to be hard on oil. (even my non DI Titan shears oil pretty hard)

feet and feet of chains, multiple sprockets, tensioners, and a high pressure DI pump - all combine to beat the snot out of oil.

UD

Originally Posted by spasm3
30 grade oils sheared down in the 80's. But do the modern 30's shear down in the absence of fuel dilution?

I've definitely seen some engines that call for 5W-30 where you can't tell by analysis whether they started with 5W-20 or 5W-30. Essentially the same end viscosity. Of course given some of the UOA it's debatable whether they have appreciable fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
LOL they don't assume anything you bought it and now its your problem!

Lol. Best reply ever and so true

We have seen many analysis reports here with oils that had high fuel dilution but wear metals were still minimal. Modern oils are much better than they used to be.

Common sense says yes, the manufacturer tests their engines over multiple OCI's and grade shearing. In today's competitive world, manufacturers want their customers to have a good experience with their products. Kind of hurts the bottom line when they lose their repeat customers due to poor engineering....and we all know of examples of that.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
They don't assume anything, they do hundreds upon hundreds of tests and determine and dissect actual results

Which is why I am asking, what is the advantage of 5W-30 over 5W-20 if they are the same viscosity after a couple of thousand miles? All I could come up with is a worse case assessment that some formulations of 5W-20 might shear to a 16 grade.

But a 5w-30 is not ever going to degrade to the same viscosity as a 5w-20 over the same mileage.......

Back