Do magnetic oil plugs remove needed additives?

Got a new genset and got excited the manual mentioned a wen magnetic fill plug. So got one for it and my 8 year old pressure washer. The washer magnetic came out with like silver paint like substance on the magnet. I thought hey it's doing its job.

Then it dawned on me that molybdenum and zinc zddp antiwear additives have magnetic properties.

Now my worry is the magnetic plug may be doing more harm than good.

Thoughts?

Got a new genset and got excited the manual mentioned a wen magnetic fill plug. So got one for it and my 8 year old pressure washer. The washer magnetic came out with like silver paint like substance on the magnet. I thought hey it's doing its job.

Then it dawned on me that molybdenum and zinc zddp antiwear additives have magnetic properties.

Now my worry is the magnetic plug may be doing more harm than good.

Thoughts?

Id like to see the evidence that these additives can have magnetic effects incurred on them when dispersed in oil. Zinc metal can have magnetic effects due to induced currents (it is not intrinsically magnetic). Id guess that Mo could do the same. But when dispersed in oil??? Please cite evidence.

evidence? I'm just a truck driver with a lot of time to do nothing but think and think and think.

I googled if moly was magnetic Google says "yes".

I googled if zinc was ferrous magnetic. Google says "No, but it will display magnetic properties as it will attach itself to ferrous metals thus is why it is such a good antiwear additive.

Thanks for the simple no and don't worry answers and citing rearend example.

Since these engines run hot wouldnt the heat lower the magnets strength to be not effective?
Magnets reduce in strength as temperature rises, this is true. How much so depends on the specific material the magnet is made of. Engine running temperatures are not hot enough to reduce the magnet to zero. I have removed the hot dipstick after running my generator for a few hours and it seemed like it was still pretty strong to me.

During the last power outage, I checked the generator oil and wiped the magnet clean before starting it. I then ran the generator for about 5hrs. Immediately after shutting down the generator, I checked the oil. There was a little bit of stuff on the magnet that wiped off on a clean paper towel. For curiosity's sake, I checked the dipstick again the next day. Again, there was a little bit of stuff that wiped off with a clean paper towel.

Remember, the magnet is immersed in the oil 100% of the time. It constantly attracts anything in close proximity that is suspended in the oil. This is happening 24/7/365.

evidence? I'm just a truck driver with a lot of time to do nothing but think and think and think.

I googled if moly was magnetic Google says "yes".

I googled if zinc was ferrous magnetic. Google says "No, but it will display magnetic properties as it will attach itself to ferrous metals thus is why it is such a good antiwear additive.

Thanks for the simple no and don't worry answers and citing rearend example.

Great to discuss and think. You mentioned the grey coating... the diff example is a great one.

Back