Do jackstands weird anyone else out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slowdime
I suppose there's always an inherent risk anytime time a heavy object is suspended off the ground!
Or flying down the freeway at 70 MPH or more.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I try to work under the car with it like this as much as possible:

I don't like that at all. No feature on the blocks to keep the car from rolling, and if it rolls, you're dead.

Originally Posted By: brages
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I try to work under the car with it like this as much as possible:

I don't like that at all. No feature on the blocks to keep the car from rolling, and if it rolls, you're dead.

First off, if it rolls, it's likely to roll backwards, in which case I'd probably be fine. And yes I do use the parking brake and it does work. That and the automatic transmission in park alone would probably do it. If there is anything to be concerned about, it's if someone tries to do this with cynder blocks that are not solid!

i always double up with two full size spare rim/tires. doubling up on jack stands makes little sense to me because if one jack failed the secondary would tilt and fall on its side as the vehicle shifts.

No problem with jack stands, provided the surface is flat and level and the stands aren't maxed out to the top height. That always weirds me out.

I give the car a good shake in multiple directions before crawling under.

Good idea on sticking wheels under the frame too, as a last resort.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: slowdime
Does anybody else hate climbing under a vehicle when it's on jackstands?

Yeah, but not as much as some alternatives! I've seen people use cinder blocks, which has got to be the most dangerous thing possible. One crack, and they disintegrate! I'm paranoid any time I'm under a vehicle- even on ramps. Potential energy is always trying to turn kinetic.

A set of good jackstands, properly placed, is about as safe as you can get. And yes, I leave the floor jack in place and slightly tensioned but with 90% of the weight on the jackstands whenever possible... just as insurance.

I agree with all statements. The one and only time I used cinder blocks I had one crack on me. NEVER AGAIN!

I do the same - jackstands with floor jack. Occasionally I have also put a wheel or large wood blocks under the car as a redundant safety measure. It only takes one oops to make my wife a widow!

3 points of support here as minimum. My service vans weigh a tad over 9k pounds, it pays to be careful.

I'm like 440Magnum, generally my 4 ton jack is still in place somewhere as a little bit of insurance...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
3 points of support here as minimum. My service vans weigh a tad over 9k pounds, it pays to be careful.

I'm like 440Magnum, generally my 4 ton jack is still in place somewhere as a little bit of insurance...

I tend to do that as well.

Bugs me, but in the last year I've done it a couple of times, so it's not quite as bad. Kinda seems scary to have the car completely off the ground on jackstands, but I'm not sure why.

I like to toss a second set of stands under it. If anything happens I'd rather crush sheetmetal than my head. One set for tire rotations or brake work, two if I'm actually under it.

What I'm not crazy about is putting the stand up more than a couple of clicks. Ideally I'd leave it all the way down--no place to drop if something goes awry in the mechanism, and it's nice and short.

I staged and shored pieces of ship weighing hundreds of tons. I distrust the cheap stands my BIL gave me. Jack stands require a board under them on any surface but concrete. Cement blocks get bed press. Mostly because they are misused. Use a block as it is used in a wall. Cores up. Put wood between the block and the car. Use wood underneath as well. I will use a single block to make a one foot high support. 2X lumber and plywood make up the rest. To gain 16" takes 4 blocks cribbed. That is way better than any jack stand. I have an old cart I keep full of dunnage to use for blocking. I collect useful cut offs for the purpose. If I see stray 8x8x16 cement blocks, they get collected too.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back