Do jackstands weird anyone else out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slowdime
Does anybody else hate climbing under a vehicle when it's on jackstands?

Yeah, but not as much as some alternatives! I've seen people use cinder blocks, which has got to be the most dangerous thing possible. One crack, and they disintegrate! I'm paranoid any time I'm under a vehicle- even on ramps. Potential energy is always trying to turn kinetic.

A set of good jackstands, properly placed, is about as safe as you can get. And yes, I leave the floor jack in place and slightly tensioned but with 90% of the weight on the jackstands whenever possible... just as insurance.

I can't help but feel weird climbing under a vehicle regardless of what it is supported by. Lift, jack stands, it doesn't matter, they can all fail in one way or another!

robert

Once I had a "real mechanic" helping me, and he was extremely careful about the placement of the stands! Your biggest worry is that it will slip in the area between the stand and whatever it is supporting. He found a solid spot under there where there was no chance for it to slip.

The industry really ought to have a more standard approach to this. Some reliable spot in each corner where the parts match and things won't go wrong. Then again, by doing something like that they expose themselves in implying that using the system would be safe....

I dream of the day when I have my own lift. By then I'll be too old to want to work on the car anyway.

You have a irrational phobia of the car falling on you when you go under with Jack stands as the support. You need to get over that. I suggest you get a sleeping bag and spend the night under the car. When you wake up next day you will be cured. If not, repeat until symptoms disappear...:)

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
You have a irrational phobia of the car falling on you when you go under with Jack stands as the support. You need to get over that. I suggest you get a sleeping bag and spend the night under the car. When you wake up next day you will be cured. If not, repeat until symptoms disappear...:)

Or until the car falls off the jacks and crushes your skull, whichever occurs first.
wink.gif

I have a pair of NAPA jack stands that I purchased thirty some years ago and have never had a problem with them. If I can, I still leave my Craftsman Japanese 2 ton floor jack in place.I love em up once in awhile and tell them how much I appreciate the service they have given over the years.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I always use a double redundant "safety". Place the jack under the frame also, or place wood blocks under the frame, or place a tire rim under the frame, etc.

X2 I feel much more secure
wink.gif

If it is a cheesy jack stand maybe, but mine are all very up to the task. I have no problems under a vehicle on jack stands. And I also have no problems under a vehicle on a well placed, well balanced hydraulic jack, with or without jack stands. Bottom line is you have to know your equipment.

I always use a double redundant "safety". Place the jack under the frame also, or place wood blocks under the frame, or place a tire rim under the frame, etc.

i place the tires/wheels under each corner of the frame/unibody.

Used to. But with experience, I have learned to be totally comfortable under my cars, when supported by jack stands.

Now ramps are another story. They scare the living [censored] out of me.

Sort of. Shaking the car helps assuage some of the fear, as well as chocking the wheels still on the ground and keeping a jack mostly raised also helps.

Well I went ahead and picked up a pair this afternoon so I dont have to drive across town to borrow my dad's. The curb weight of my car is 2,750 lbs so I figured 2 ton stands would be fine. I'll give it a wiggle test but I think just doing the struts where I don't actually have to put my head under it is fine. I'll get used to the idea! Rarely had to use them on my old truck, one of the benefits of being skinny!

I'm comfortable with jacks plus ramps. When I put a short shifter in my GTO, my son and I were getting in and out and under the car for hours. It never budged. Both the ramps and the jacks are rated for 6000lbs a pair (12,000 total) and they were probably supporting about 2500lbs. Lots of headroom.

Double redundancy isn't good enough for me. I go for triple/quadruple redundancy: jack stands, jack, 2-4 tires and a big block of 8x8. Even good size earthquake could not topple the car over
grin2.gif

Didn't somebody say this is very dangerous??? Me? I only go under the car if it is standing on its own tires or it is on the lift at my mechanic's garage!

Last edited:
I suppose there's always an inherent risk anytime time a heavy object is suspended off the ground!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back