Do indy repair shops or even dealer service techs do advanced diagnostics?

I’m mainly talking about diagnostic tools such as using a scope to get detailed information beyond just interpreting what live data a scan tool provides to pinpoint a problem instead of throwing parts at it? I was reading in some of the auto service trade magazines the columns written by a few techs that specialize in that, and find it interesting all the stuff they can do with a scope. Just one for example is a compression test done simply by analyzing the slight difference in current draw on the starter and how it relates to compression in each cylinder. It can reduce the time it takes to do a compression test from 2-3 hours (Ford van) to 15 minutes.

The reason I’m asking is I’ve done all the recommended conventional diagnostics on a car and even replaced all the suspected parts and still have the same issue. I almost know if I take it to a dealer, they will throw the parts cannon at it and even that may not solve the problem.

Most of the ones I know just use a scan tool. I use a scan tool and when needed a scope or whatever other diagnostic tools are needed. Provided that it’s OBD2 if it’s OBD1 I also have three scan tools with tons of adapters for different vehicles that sometimes work and sometimes don’t. Never a parts cannon at all talk about angry customers and I don’t want to be a parts swapper because I’m not I’m a mechanic.

Last edited:
Diagnostic abilities come down to the individual. A dealer may or may not have someone who really knows what they are doing.

We used to have a guy like that, even electrical stuff was no sweat for him. He was very detailed, precise, and methodical. He ended up going to a different dealer that paid him more and had a far better shop, and a better service manager. Sadly he passed away from cancer a couple years ago (he was not old). I've never personally worked with anyone else who had his level of talent, and while we have some members like that here, I don't think it's common. The diagnostic abilities of any shop come down to how good their best mechanic is.

I am a diag tech, I make my living doing advanced diag. I own the factory exact scan tools for most of what I work on as well as several aftermarket tools, locksmith tools and scopes. I think I have 33 individual channels of scope in the shop. I'd venture less than 10 percent of the industry is capable of doing what I do and I am fortunate to call many of those that can my friends

Most don’t want to do diagnostics because it’s boring because it is. I would rather be working on it then using a scan tool. That’s why it’s hard to find good people to work on stuff anymore. Now I do both so I get to do both I couldn’t imagine just being a diagnostic tech.

Where abouts in DC? I am 1.5 hrs outside of Philadelphia. I do know someone down towards Richmond but I dont know if he currently works for the general public or not. Lots of very good diag guys run businesses doing diagnostics and programming for other shops. I do a bit of this but also work for the public at my own shop. If you would like I can reach out to Allan and ask him

Hats off to the people that have that level of intellect and passion. They are worth every Penny IMO.
For sure on that.

You'd like to think every busy shop has a at least one tech that can do advanced diagnostics well, but this may not be the case.

Even more rare than that is one that can do advanced diag and do excellent hands on work. SMAs Eric O for example, or Watch Wes Work. Those guys amaze me and go above and beyond for their customers seemingly every time.

what’s the issue you’re dealing with?
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth. Engine goes into limp mode with the throttle light on and the P2172 code for High Airflow Vacuum Leak Detected (Instantaneous Accumulation). It goes limp only at idle such as when waiting at a traffic light. Shutting it off and restarting it cures the problem temporarily. If I don’t clear the code, eventually P0507 idle speed performance higher than expected sets, and then, P0106 MAP sensor sets.

Going through the Fiat service manual which lists Possible Causes, VACUUM LEAK, MAP SENSOR, THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR/THROTTLE BODY, POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM).

I have smoked the car 4 times including with a high pressure turbo adaptor looking for a vacuum leak with no luck. I have replaced the throttle body and map sensor with oem parts. Checked the wiring between those two and the PCM and they are fine as well as the 5V signal. Unless I missed something, this leads to the PCM being bad? The PCM would be covered under the 8 year emissions warranty for another 2 months but I doubt the Fiat dealer techs would have the experience to make that call.

Reactions: JC1
Where abouts in DC? I am 1.5 hrs outside of Philadelphia. I do know someone down towards Richmond but I dont know if he currently works for the general public or not. Lots of very good diag guys run businesses doing diagnostics and programming for other shops. I do a bit of this but also work for the public at my own shop. If you would like I can reach out to Allan and ask him
I’m in Potomac MD but have workshops/storage lots in Hagerstown MD and Frederickburg VA, so not general public. I don’t mind driving it a few hours to someone who knows their stuff and can get it done instead of the local dealers. And you mean Allen of Scan Man? Is he still doing that? His website scanmaninc.com hasn't worked in a while.

Last edited:
Back