Do ignition keys have to have chips in them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't we have just regular ol' keys anymore? I took my daughter's Yaris key to a locksmith yesterday to have a spare ignition key made because the car didn't come with one. $90 for a stinkin copy...$90!!! All because it's got a chip in it. Do we really need keys with chips in them? What happened to having a spare key made for a couple bucks? Jeez!

A buddy of mine had problems with his ignition lock, and had to have the lock cylinder removed. He started his car with a screwdriver he kept in the cup holder, and just hoped nobody would break in and steal his car. Now, do you see why we have chips in car keys? Car won't start just by defeating the ignition lock or hotwiring it.

I love them.
I think they're the best thing ever to happen to the auto industry, and if you don't believe me, look at the theft statistics.

.....go steal me a late model mainstream car
Call me when your done

well,
This was partly on you. All new cars come with 2keys. So I'm assuming you bought the car used.

Everything in a sale is negotiable. You should have negotiated with the person you bought the car from to take $90 off the price if he only had 1 key to give you.

Now you know, if you buy a used car with only 1 key; consider that in the purchase price. Just as if it comes with a flat or worn tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
well,
This was partly on you. All new cars come with 2keys. So I'm assuming you bought the car used.

Everything in a sale is negotiable. You should have negotiated with the person you bought the car from to take $90 off the price if he only had 1 key to give you.

Now you know, if you buy a used car with only 1 key; consider that in the purchase price. Just as if it comes with a flat or worn tires.

For one thing, I didn't know that the keys for all newer vehicles come with a chip, and secondly, I had no idea getting a copy made would run $90...live and learn I guess...

If you're just worried about locking the key in the car, you can still get a regular, cheap key made. It won't start the car, but you'll still be able to unlock the door with it.

$90 sounds like a pretty good deal actually. Lots of immobilizer keys are well above that after programming. Add in a keyless entry transmitter attached to the key, and it gets in to the $200+ range quickly.

People demand fancy keys. First they wanted manufacturers to make it harder to steal cars. Now, they want a flip out center cut key with keyless entry transmitter...then get mad when they find out losing their keys is a $200 mistake.

The chips are a pain. The 3.8 was one of the earliest model GM with a chip. Heck my 95 has one. But given this is many generations ago compared to modern chips.

They are know to be finicky they have a auto kill switch that lasts 5-10 mins if you try and turn the car over to many times and the computer can't read the chip.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Why can't we have just regular ol' keys anymore? I took my daughter's Yaris key to a locksmith yesterday to have a spare ignition key made because the car didn't come with one. $90 for a stinkin copy...$90!!! All because it's got a chip in it. Do we really need keys with chips in them? What happened to having a spare key made for a couple bucks? Jeez!

According to the articles I have read, the chip keys and other measures have dramatically cut down car thefts. The thieves are now going after old cars for scrap or car jacking. In listing one car that was stolen frequently (Honda Civic I think), the theft basically stopped the year the chip keys came out.

I bought a blank for my Jeep online for about $12.00, had a local locksmith cut the key ($2.00) and followed the directions to program the Jeep to recognize it. The programming only required me to have 2 working keys plus the new key.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I love them.
I think they're the best thing ever to happen to the auto industry, and if you don't believe me, look at the theft statistics.

Call me when your done

Easiest way these days is with a tow truck.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I love them.

Call me when your done

Easiest way these days is with a tow truck.

Understood, but just think about this
Do you REALLY want my '06 Taurus?
Do you REALLY WANT my 13 year old Minivan?
Are you seriously gonna bring a flatbed to take them off my driveway?

A desirable car, maybe.
But if you have to bring a flatbed to steal anything, it's a lot less discreet then busting the cylinder or shorting wires.

Pretty much what everyone else in this thread has said. Chipped keys have made traditional auto theft a thing of the past, which is a good thing. There is a simple solution. Most cars come with 2 keys.

My 89 firebird had 'em. The hack is to put an ohmmeter on the "pellet" and order a new key blank with those ohms off ebay. Last time I had to, blank plus cutting came in under $10.

BIL has "passlock", a different spin, where the lock cylinder detects itself turning with a $1 key. If and when this breaks, the hack is to leave the key on for ten minutes-- time a thief doesn't have.

What gets me about these chip keys is that they're about 3x thicker than standard house keys. So they make my keychain thicker with no gain to me, especially if I have a few on there. So now I'm up to a "double chain" so it all fits in my pocket better.

Plus, terror on the highways awaits as my heavy ford and dodge keys tug on my HHR ignition switch, potentially stalling my cute ute...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I hope that these technology can help stop car-jacking, too.

If you have the keyless fob in your pants pocket, then yeah.

Originally Posted By: grampi

No, but it's manufacturer dependent. One of the F150's keys is unchipped.

You bought the car used right? So the dealership where you bought it probablty still has the extra key to make it easier to repo if you default. Common practice at used car lots, esp buy here pay here.

Can't sell new cars/trucks in Canada anymore without chipped keys.
States side, I think you can.
It is probably a fleet option from recent discussions with Ford engineering on the new Transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back